— Onlinemagazin (@OnlineMagazin) October 25, 2017
A Rotherham child abuse victim has told how her attacker warned she would be killed if she refused to have an abortion – at the age of 14.
The woman, now in her 30s, revealed how she then fell pregnant to the same abuser for the second time just six months later and on that occasion was allowed to keep the child.
Her story comes as it was revealed that as many as 100 teenage girls may have had babies after falling pregnant to their abusers.
According to the Sunday Mirror, the victim, known only as Jane, was targeted as a schoolgirl in Rotherham while she was living with her parents.
She described how her attacker, who was in his 20s, was driving around in his car looking for potential victims when he saw her in the street.
After ‘chatting her up’ and buying her food and clothes, Jane admitted she felt ‘flattered’ by the attention.
In the weeks that followed he would sneak in through her bedroom window and have sex with her while her parents slept in the next room.
She told the newspaper that she found out she was pregnant while she was at school – but on telling her attacker, he ordered her to get rid of the baby.
‘He told me they would do a DNA test and he would be jailed. He said his friends would find me and kill me.’
Despite her desperate parents informing social services, she claims no action was taken.
‘I had the abortion and I was put in care to keep us apart. He would drive up and down outside my home. It was like he was stalking me.’
Just six months later, and living with foster parents, the abuser tracked her down and she fell pregnant again at the age of 15.
The man allowed her to keep the baby provided she became a Muslim and describes having to ‘eat what he did. No bacon, and he talked to me about his religion for hours.’
The pair lost contact for two years while her abuser was in jail for attacking another man.
It was only years later that Jane was told by a social worker that she had been abused and learnt that she had not been his only victim.
She told the Sunday Mirror that during her ordeal she was failed twice by police who did not investigate her abuse.
The newspaper says more than 100 teenagers may have conceived during rapes.
Jane’s story comes after an explosive report which revealed child sexual exploitation in the town had an ‘absolutely devastating’ effect on the estimated 1,400 victims between 1997 and 2013.
Professor Alexis Jay’s report also highlighted another tragic element of the scandal for some of the victims who fell pregnant – being separated from the babies born as a result.
It said: ‘In a number of cases we read, children and young people had pregnancies, miscarriages and terminations.
* * *