– Roundup-Ready GM Crops Leave Monarch Butterflies Close To Extinction (Sustainable Pulse, Feb 6, 2015)
– Monsanto pledges $4 million to help save monarch butterflies (RT, April 1, 2015):
Biotech giant Monsanto announced it would spend $4 million on efforts to save the monarch butterfly population after the company’s pesticides have been accused of destroying the insects’ habitat and bringing them to the brink of extinction.
The St. Louis-based company said Tuesday it would contribute $3.6 million over three years to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation’s Monarch Butterfly Conservation Fund. Another $400,000 will go to universities and conservations groups trying to rescue the species.
Monsanto’s initial $1.2 million grant matches the contribution of the US Fish and Wildlife Service to the conservation fund, with the other $2.4 million earmarked to match commitments from the federal government over the next three years. The funding is intended to support “habitat restoration, education and outreach, and milkweed seed and plant production.”
Monsanto’s announcement claims the company will expand and improve “more than 10 million acres of quality, distributed habitat by 2025,” provide 100,000 milkweed plants for planting in “priority landscapes,” and reach 100,000 growers with guidance plans to create and protect monarch habitats, among other things.
According to a study by the Center for Food Safety, close to 99 percent of milkweed in the Midwest’s corn and soybean fields has been destroyed by pesticides such as Monsanto’s Roundup, the most common herbicide in American agriculture today, used in tandem with the company’s genetically-engineered Roundup Ready crops. Milkweed plants are the only spots where monarch butterflies lay eggs and the only food source for their larvae.
Since Roundup’s introduction, the number of monarch butterflies has drastically dropped, from one billion in 1997 to 56.5 million this past winter, according to the Center for Biological Diversity. The finding was cited in a February lawsuit filed by the National Resource Defense Council (NRDC) against the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), over the agency’s approval of Roundup for use.
“Glyphosate has wiped out the milkweed they need to survive,” Sylvia Fallon, a senior scientist at NRDC, said at the time. “EPA completely ignored the impact on monarchs when it granted this new approval, and seriously underestimated the toxicity for people.”
The Center for Biological Diversity, the Center for Food Safety and the Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation have petitioned the US Fish and Wildlife Service to list the subspecies of monarch (Danaus plexippus plexippus) as endangered.
The orange-and-black spotted monarchs are renowned for migrating several thousand miles across the US, Canada and Mexico. In addition to their natural beauty, monarch butterflies play an important role in ecology. They carry pollen from plant to plant, helping fruits and flowers to produce new seeds. In their caterpillar stage, they are a food source for birds, mammals and other insects.
“While weed management has been a factor in the decline of milkweed habitat, the agricultural sector can absolutely be part of the solution in restoring it,” said Monstanto President and Chief Operating Officer Brett Begemann in a statement Tuesday.
Among the recipients of Monsanto’s grant money is the University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada, which is tasked with identifying priority areas for milkweed restoration. Monarch Watch, a research group at the University of Kansas, would produce and distribute milkweed on public lands along the butterflies’ migratory path. The University of Illinois at Chicago has a program to identify and prioritize available public and private lands for seeding with milkweed, while the Iowa Monarch Conservation Consortium is supposed to work with farmers.
More important information on Glyphosate (Roundup):
– ‘I’m Not Stupid’ Monsanto Lobbyist Refuses To Drink Weedkiller After Proclaiming ‘It Won’t Hurt You’
– New Study Shows Roundup Herbicide Causes Antibiotic Resistance In Bacteria
– WHO: Roundup Weedkiller Containing Glyphosate Is ‘Probably Carcinogenic To Humans’
– Roundup Herbicide Is Endocrine Disruptor In Human Cells At Drinking Water Levels
– Same delusional people who say vaccines are safe also insist GMOs, glyphosate, aspartame, mercury and radiation are safe, too
– Pennsylvania Researchers Discover Glyphosate Herbicide in Honey and Soy Sauce
– Roundup-Ready GM Crops Leave Monarch Butterflies Close To Extinction
– GMOs And Glyphosate Discovered in Kellogg’s Froot Loops
– Dr. Jayasumana: Glyphosate Leads to 5-Fold Increase in Deadly Kidney Disease Risk
– Top MIT Scientist: Roundup Causes Autism
– Dr. Edward Group: GMO, Endocrine Disruptors … They Want You Dead And Totally Neutralized (Video)
– Dr. Santadino: Glyphosate (Roundup Ready) Destroys Earthworm Eisenia fetida Populations
– Another Independent Study Confirms Monsanto’s RoundUp Chemicals Are Lethal, Even in Small Doses
– Food Safety Experts Slam USDA over 2,4-D GM Crops Approval
– Chinese and International Experts Slam GMOs and Glyphosate at Beijing Conference
– Dr. Krüger: Glyphosate Increases Birth Defects In Piglets
– New Séralini Study Shows Monsanto’s Roundup Damages Sperm
– Glyphosate Decreases Yield, Seedling Quality Of Roundup Ready Soybeans; Increases Rate Of Fungal Disease
– The Glyphosate Toxicity Studies You’re Not Allowed to See
– Reactions To Republication Of Landmark Seralini GMO Study
– Republication Of The Séralini Study: Science Speaks For Itself
– Dr. Schinasi: Glyphosate Herbicides Linked to Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
– Monsanto’s Darkest Secret: Roundup’s Effect On The Fetus
– 3 Studies Proving Highly Toxic Glyphosate Found In Urine, Blood, And Even Breast Milk
– World’s Number 1 Herbicide Discovered In U.S. Mothers’ Breast Milk
– Brazil’s Federal Public Prosecutor Requests Total Ban Of Glyphosate Herbicides
– Dr Cattani: Roundup Causes Toxic Damage To Rat Brains
– Scientist Slams Biotech Industry Over Deadly Kidney Disease Epidemic
– Gov. Study: Roundup Weedkiller Found In 75% of Air And Rain Samples
– Monsanto’s Roundup Causes ‘Gluten Intolerance’
– Pesticide Formulations Up To 1000 Times More Toxic Than Active Ingredients Tested For Safety
– Study: Pesticide Evaluations Dishonest And Misleading
– Dr. Mercurio: Glyphosate Is Most Resistant To Biodegredation In Sea Water
– Governments Ignore Definitive Proof That Monsanto’s Roundup Causes Birth Defects
– UK Bread And Cereal Bars Found To Be Contaminated With Toxic GLYPHOSATE
– El Salvador Bans Glyphosate
– Study: Roundup And Glyphosate Toxicity Underestimated
– GMO And Monsanto Roundup: Glyphosate Weedkiller In Our Food and Water?
– Glyphosate In Monsanto’s Roundup Inhibits Natural Detoxification In Human Cells: Study
– Study: New Review Of Hundreds Of Scientific Studies Surrounding Glyphosate Links Monsanto’s Roundup To Autism, Parkinson’s And Alzheimer’s
– USDA Received Dire Pathogen Warning BEFORE Deregulating GM Alfalfa
– Monsanto’s Roundup Herbicide Linked To Overgrowth of Deadly Bacteria
– Study: GMO Toxins Found In Nearly All Pregnant Women, Unborn Babies
– GMO Technology, Glyphosate Toxicity Leaving Men Sterile
– Jeffrey Smith’s Full Presentation On Deadly GMO’s (Video)
– FIRST LONG-TERM GMO STUDY: Monsanto GMO Corn & Roundup Cause Massive Tumors In Lab Animals (Video)
– Shocking GMO Study: Rats Fed Lifetime Of GM Corn Grow Horrifying Tumors, 70% Of Females Die Early
– Study: Roundup Herbicide 450-Fold Diluted Is Still Genotoxic
– Illinois Government Secretly Destroys Beekeeper’s Bees And 15 Years Of Research Proving Monsanto’s Roundup Kills Bees
– Farmers Sue Monsanto And US Tobacco Giants Knowingly Poisoned Argentinean Tobacco Farmers With Pesticides, Causing ‘Devastating Birth Defects’ In Their Children
– Monsanto Secretly Poisoning Population With Roundup – Scientist And Friends Attacked For Exposing Roundup Link To Birth Defects
– ROUNDUP: Birth Defects Caused By World’s Top-Selling Weedkiller, Scientists Say
– Roundup Birth Defects: Regulators Knew World’s Best-Selling Herbicide Causes Problems, New Report Finds
– Scientists Warn Of Dangerous New Pathogen From Roundup Ready Treated Monsanto GM Crops Causing Infertility And Spontaneous Abortions
– Roundup, GMOs linked to emergence of deadly new pathogen causing spontaneous abortions among animals
– Monsanto’s Roundup Triggers Over 40 Plant Diseases and Endangers Human and Animal Health
– Study: Monsanto’s Roundup Kills Human Cells (Flashback)
– Scientist: Monsanto’s herbicide could cause brain, intestinal and heart defects in foetuses