– Defiant North Korea Says Can Prove It Is Not Behind Hack “Without Resorting To Torture Like The CIA” (ZeroHedge, Dec 20, 2014):
Just hours after the FBI announced that, with absolute certainty, it had determined that North Korea was behind the Sony hack, a “theory” that has become the butt of global jokes, we learned, in a far less prominent release, that according to an internal inquiry, FBI evidence if “often mishandled.” According to the NYT, “F.B.I. agents in every region of the country have mishandled, mislabeled and lost evidence, according to a highly critical internal investigation that discovered errors with nearly half the pieces of evidence it reviewed.
The evidence collection and retention system is the backbone of the F.B.I.’s investigative process, and the report said it is beset by problems.
It gets better: according to the report, the F.B.I. was storing more weapons, less money and valuables, and two tons more drugs than its records had indicated. Almost as if the FBI was siphoning off cash, while hoarding guns and blow.
The report’s findings, based on a review of more than 41,000 pieces of evidence in F.B.I. offices around the country, could have consequences for criminal investigations and prosecutions. Lawyers can use even minor record-keeping discrepancies to get evidence thrown out of court, and the F.B.I. was alerting prosecutors around the country on Friday that they may need to disclose the errors to defendants.
A majority of the errors identified were due in large part to human error, attributable to a lack of training and program management oversight,” auditors wrote in the report, which was obtained by The New York Times.
F.B.I. officials on Friday said that they decided on their own to conduct the review after discovering during an internal audit that there might be issues with the record keeping for evidence.
In other words, there was human error, as well as willful “record keeping” lies.
But that’s ok, because the FBI has released a YouTube clip proving that North Korea hacked the US subsidiary of a Japanese company in a matter that has escalated to a national security issue. Right? Because the US had doctored photos of Iraq WMDs, and a doctored YouTube clip of Syrians “dead” after an Assad chemical attack.
Well, maybe not. Which perhaps explains why a defiant North Korea not only refuses to take responsibility for the infamous Sony “hack”, something which makes little sense for the regime that would love to take full credit for crippling of the evil Imperialist pigs’ Christmas movie schedule, but that, as Reuters reports, it wants a joint probe investigation into the incident with the United States.
An unnamed spokesman of the North’s foreign ministry said there would be “grave consequences” if Washington refused to agree to the joint probe and continued to accuse Pyongyang, the official KCNA news agency reported on Saturday.
In fact, earlier today, North Korea warned of “serious consequences” if the United States retaliates against it.
As a reminder, on Friday, President Barack Obama blamed North Korea for the devastating cyberattack, which led to the Hollywood studio cancelling “The Interview”, a comedy on the fictional assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
But the epic punchline, is that even a tiny backwater, dictatorship can now make fun of US “moral high ground” courtesy of the recent CIA torture disclosure. “We have a way to prove that we have nothing to do with the case without resorting to torture, as what the C.I.A. does,” the statement said.
We can’t wait to see it. We also can’t wait to see America’s own proof for what is shaping up to be yet another false flag intervention. Alas, we may be waiting for a long time.
While some computer experts still express doubts whether the North was actually behind the attack, American officials said it was similar to what was believed to be a North Korean cyberattack last year on South Korean banks and broadcasters. One key similarity was the fact that the hackers erased data from the computers, something many cyberthieves do not do.
Some American officials have said that North Korea appears to have embraced cyberterrorism as its new weapon of choice for making political points, and is possibly trying to extort new concessions out of the United States and its allies. While North Korea is an impoverished nation with so little Internet usage that it is essentially a black hole in cyberspace, the attacks showed a high level of sophistication and hacking expertise.
The hackers did considerable commercial damage to Sony Pictures, posting embarrassing emails, detailed breakdowns of executive salaries, digital copies of unreleased movies and even the unpublished script for an upcoming James Bond movie.
Sony said the threats against theaters left it no choice but to cancel the Dec. 25 release of “The Interview,” in which Seth Rogen and James Franco play television journalists who get a scoop interview with Mr. Kim, and then find themselves recruited by the C.I.A. to kill him.
On Friday, Mr. Obama faulted Sony’s decision to withhold the movie, saying that it created a precedent of studios giving into intimidation.
Yes, the “terrorists won”, which is precisely the cover that the US needed to maintain its imploding “Pax American” status quo. Oh, and whatever happened to all that media coverage of US “enhanced interrogation techniques” anyway?