“If you put a label on genetically engineered food you might as well put a skull and crossbones on it.”
- Norman Braksick, president of Asgrow Seed Co., a subsidiary of Monsanto, quoted in the Kansas City Star, March 7, 1994
After 20 years, nearly everyone still wants GM food to be labeled
At this MSNBC poll, over 40,000 people have voted strongly in favor of labeling genetically modified foods: 96% of all respondents.
But, a review of several polls going back to 1994 reveals that the numbers have always been high — the vast majority of people have always wanted GM labels. That biotech foods have remained unlabeled for nearly 20 years in the US reveals a deliberate and willful refusal by regulatory agencies to serve the will of the people, instead opting to abet industry profits through public deception.
The 96% rating from MSNBC’s casual survey does represent a jump from a scientific poll conducted in 2003 by University of Maine and The Ohio State University (and partly funded by the US Dept. of Agriculture), where 85% of respondents said they wanted GM foods labeled. Researchers also noted:
“Polls have emphasized that a majority of consumers in the United States (US) desire GMFs to be labeled (Pew Initiative on Food and Biotechnology, 2001), and legislation has been entered at both the federal and state levels. For example, HR 3377 and S 2080—the “Genetically Engineered Food Right to Know Acts”—were introduced into the US House of Representatives and Senate, respectively. In addition, at least seven states have debated labeling and marketing requirements for GM foods (Pollack, 2001). Further, the current lack of harmonization of policies across countries also makes GM food labeling an international trade issue.”
More in line with that 2003 study, a few weeks ago, a CBS/New York Times poll found that 87% want GM foods labeled. This prompted food columnist Mark Bittman to ask, “Why Aren’t G.M.O. Foods Labeled?” He finds it “unbelievable … that the F.D.A. and the U.S.D.A. will not require any of these products, or foods containing them, to be labeled as genetically engineered, because they don’t want to ‘suggest or imply’ that these foods are ‘different.’”
But they are, Blanche, they are. That’s part of what goes into the difference between organic and not.
The European Commission on Agriculture reports that a full:
“84% of the respondents favoured [GM labels] in a 1995 USDA survey in New Jersey; 93% in the 1997 Novartis survey; and 81% in the Time magazine poll. In Canada, a 1994 survey showed that 83% to 94% of Canadians polled want labelling on foods that are produced using biotechnology.”
It should be no big surprise that since the introduction of GM foods, the majority of people want GM labeling. Who wouldn’t want to know how their food’s been adulterated? It’s simply a matter of ethics. Even if all the GMO naysayers are wrong and transgenic food (and the chemicals used to grow it) causes no harm to the biosphere, we have the right to know what’s in our food. We have the right to choose to eat what we want, and reject what we don’t want to eat.
More importantly, if governments fail to abide the wishes of free people who created them, does that not define tyranny?
Rady Ananda holds a B.S. in Natural Resources from The Ohio State University’s School of Agriculture. Her work has appeared in several online and print publications. Using years of editorial experience and web publishing, Rady now promotes the ideas and work of a select group of quality writers and artists at Food Freedom and COTO Report.
Rady Ananda, Contributing Writer
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Source: Activist Post
More information on GMOs:
GM food alters your DNA, changes your brain waves, destroys your immune system, your organs and makes you infertile.
- Hidden Dangers: Genetically Engineered Foods
– USDA National Organics Program: Testing for GMOs NOT Required!!!
- GMO Nightmare: There Is No Escape From GM Foods
- GMOs: No Seeds, No Independent Research!
- Scientists Warn Of Dangerous New Pathogen From Roundup Ready Treated Monsanto GM Crops Causing Infertility And Spontaneous Abortions
- USDA Deregulates GMO Corn Engineered to Produce Fuel, Not Food, Unleashing Another Mass Contamination of Crops
- Despite a Court Ban USDA Allows Commercial Planting of Monsanto’s Genetically Modified Sugar Beets
- US: Organic Consumers Association Funded by Big Pharma and Rockefeller! Food Freedom Betrayal!
- Change: USDA Recommends ‘Coexistence’ with Monsanto
- Monsanto’s Roundup Triggers Over 40 Plant Diseases and Endangers Human and Animal Health
- Max Keiser: Monsanto And The Seeds Of Evil
- WikiLeaks Cables: US Targets EU Over GM Crops
- Australia: Monsanto GM Strain Blows Organic Status Away
- US Conspired to Retaliate Against European Nations If They Resisted GMOs: Wikileaks Cable Reveals
- USDA GMO Policy
- US House of Representatives Passes Unconstitutional S.510/HR 2751, The Food Safety Modernization Act (TREASON!!!)
- The GMO Orange Scandal
- And Now: GMO Oranges As Solution To Insect-Borne Bacterial Disease
- Judge Orders Destruction Of Monsanto GMO sugarbeets
- Monsanto, Syngenta, BASF And Others Working On GM Wheat
- Scientists working to create genetically modified chocolate – to make you healthy (Sure!)
- MIT Scientists Develop GMO Plant That Produces Pharmaceutical Drugs
- USDA Plans To Allow GM Sugar Beet Planting During Lawsuit
- 10 Freakiest Things About Frankenfish
- GM Flax Contamination Detected in 35 Countries
- Study: GM Corn ‘Has Polluted Rivers Across The United States’
- FDA Refuses to Require Labeling of GM Salmon
- GM Salmon Nears US Approval
- RED ALERT: Dr. Rima E. Laibow On The Food Safety Bill (S 510): This Bill Eliminates All Local Farming, Organic Farmers and Garden Farmers
- US: GM Salmon May Go On Sale
- GMO Sugar Beets – Monsanto Wins Again
- US: Rice Farmer Awarded $500,000 In GM Rice Trial
- Scientist Leading Taxpayer-Funded GM Crop Test Defends Links To US Biotech Giant Monsanto
- US Supreme Court Lifts Ban On Monsanto’s GM Alfalfa
- UK Academics Quit Rigged FSA Frankenfood Propaganda
- Study: Monsanto’s Roundup Kills Human Cells (Flashback)
- GMO Alert: US Attempting Global Censorship of GMO Food Labeling
- California Files Legal Brief Opposing Monsanto in US Supreme Court
- Russian Scientists Prove Genetically Modified Foods are Harmful, Suggest Ban on GM Foods
- Bayer AG admits GMO contamination out of control
- Monsanto: GM-Corn Harvest of 82,000 Hectares in South Africa Fails (!)
- Multiple Ways Monsanto is Putting Normal Seeds Out of Reach
- Monsanto’s Genetically Modified Seed Patents May Trump Antitrust Claims
- Former Managing Director of Monsanto India: Monsanto ‘Faked’ Data for Approvals
- Monsanto GM Corn Causing Organ Failure In Rats: Study (Everything You Need To Know)
- Scientist: Monsanto’s herbicide could cause brain, intestinal and heart defects in foetuses
- Hawaii: GMO taro ban proposal goes to full council
- Monsanto to Charge as Much as 42 % More for New Seeds!
- US Association of Physicians calls for Moratorium on GMO Foods
- Monsanto sues Germany over GM corn ban
- Germany bans Monsanto’s GM maize
- Greenpeace: No need for condoms – GE corn can do the job
- Austrian Government Study Confirms Genetically Modified (GM) Crops Threaten Human Fertility and Health Safety
- BIODIVERSITY: Privatisation Making Seeds Themselves Infertile
- At stake is no less than control of the world’s food supply.
- Exposed: the great GM crops myth:
“Genetic modification actually cuts the productivity of crops, an authoritative new study shows, undermining repeated claims that a switch to the controversial technology is needed to solve the growing world food crisis.”
Highly recommended videos:
- Life running out of control – Genetically Modified Organisms (!)
- The World According to Monsanto – A documentary that Americans won’t ever see. (!)
Obama and Monsanto:
- Obama Gives Key Agriculture Post to Lobbyist of CropLife America Whose Members Include Monsanto, Syngenta, DuPont and Dow Chemical
- Obama Gives ‘Pesticide Lobbyist’ Post as Chief Agricultural Negotiator
- Monsanto lobbyists to be placed in charge of food safety by Obama
- Obama appoints Monsanto shill Tom Vilsack to USDA chief
On CODEX and the agenda of the elite:
- Food Safety Bill Invokes Codex Harmonization And Grants FDA Authority To Police Food Safety Of Foreign Nations
- Dr. Rima E. Laibow: The Globalist Depopulation Agenda
- Dr. Rima E. Laibow on Codex Alimentarius and Food Nazification (!)
- Dr. Rima E. Laibow on the Contamination of the Food Supply & Deadly Antibiotics
- Codex Alimentarius: Population Control Under the Guise of Consumer Protection
- One Nation Under Siege – Full Theatrical Release
- Nutricide – Criminalizing Natural Health, Vitamins, and Herbs
Tags: Food, Genetically Modified Organisms, Global News, GMO, Society