Demand for physical and non-physical gold in China is soaring. The Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC) reportedly sold nearly 7 tons of physical gold in January alone, almost half of what they sold in all of 2010, according to Reuters.
The bank expects to sell 5 billion yuan worth of gold linked deposits this year, after having sold 1 billion yuan worth of the deposits in 2010, according to Zhou Ming, the deputy head of the ICBC’s precious metals department.
With Chinese CPI at 4.9% it comes as no surprise consumer are rushing to buy the precious metal to hedge against inflation. Gold prices in Asia steadied in overnight trading while gold futures rose on the Comex in New York. The metal has been trading lower on the market today.
The ICBC teamed with the World Gold Council to launch China’s first gold gift investment bar on Tuesday. The Only Gold Gift Bar comes in 10, 20, 50, 100 and 1000 gram denominations and the word “fu” (joy) engraved on the bar. Ming said in a statement on Tuesday:
“We are working closely with the World Gold Council to provide a variety of physical or physical backed gold solutions for our customers. Last year we sold more than 15 tonnes of bars and coins and we have a strong start in January with almost 5 tonnes of sales.”
With 1,161.9 tons, China has the world’s sixth largest gold reserve valued at $50.19 billion. The country is the world’s largest gold producer, yet it imported 209 tons of gold last year.
Mamta Badkar | Feb. 16, 2011, 10:17 AM
Source: The Business Insider
More on gold and silver:
– Richard Russell: Possibility of Gold Breaking to New Highs
– Brazilian Billionaire Eike Batista Reaffirms $1 Billion Bid for Ventana Gold
– Americans Will Flock Into $5,000 Gold and $500 Silver
– Chinese Have A New Method To Buy Massive Amounts Of Physical Gold, Bypassing Comex And Any Form Of Delivery Limits And Problems
– Gold This Decade!!!
– ‘GoldNomics’: Cash or Gold Bullion?
– George Soros’ and John Paulson’s Biggest Holding Is GOLD
– China, Russia, Iran are Dumping the Dollar, Buy Gold And Silver
– Gold and Gold Mining Shares As a Percentage of Global Assets or ‘The Once In a Lifetime Ride’
– Massive Short Squeeze in Silver, Gold to Hit New Highs
– London Source: Asians Buying SLV to Take Delivery of Silver
– COMEX Silver Inventories Drop To 4 Year Low. COMEX Default Or Hunt Brothers Redux?
– This Past Week in Gold and Silver
– ‘US Silver Term Structure Inverts As Supply Tightens’ – Reuters Article On Silver Backwardation
– JP Morgan Silver Manipulation Explained (Part 1-4)
– Silver Bullion Backwardation Suggests Supply Stress
– Silver Lease Rates Rise Sharply – Bond Yields in Portugal Rise to Record
– Silver Is Already In Extreme Backwardation! If The Same Happens With Gold, Then The End Game For The US Dollar With Hyperinflation Is Near
– Perth Mint Has Run Out of 100 Ounce SILVER Bars for at least 6 Weeks!!!
– Silver Breaks Its Golden Shackles And More Signs of Silver Shortages
– $6,000 Silver and the ONE BANK
– Canada’s Biggest Bullion Bank Scotia Mocatta: ALL SILVER BARS SOLD OUT
– US Mint Sells Absolute Record 6.4 Million Ounces Of Silver In January, 50% More Than Previous Highest Month
– Eric Sprott: Expect $50 Silver, Gold Possibly $2,150 by Spring
– US Mint Reports Unprecedented Buying Spree Of Physical Silver
– BullionVault.com Runs Out Of Silver In Germany
– Silver: Shortage This Decade, Will Be Worth More Than Gold (!!!)
– Silver Derivatives – China and JP Morgan
– Max Keiser: Want JP Morgan to Crash? Buy Silver!
– Max Keiser: Crash JP Morgan – Buy Silver!
– JPMorgan Silver Manipulation Explained (Must-See!)
And don’t forget to do this (!!!)…
– James G. Rickards of Omnis Inc.: Get Your Gold Out Of The Banking System
… or …
– US DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY HAS TOLD BANKS – IN WRITING – IT MAY INSPECT SAFE DEPOSIT BOXES WITHOUT WARRANT AND SIEZE ANY GOLD, SILVER, GUNS OR OTHER VALUABLES IT FINDS INSIDE THOSE BOXES!
– Tungsten Outperforms Gold, Returns 70 Percent In Last Year (And we all know exactly why!)
– Alert: Get Out of Your Dollar Assets Now!!!
– The Ultimate Cost of 0% Money
– These Central Banks Are Printing Money – Prepare Yourself
– Quantitative Easing Explained