Certifying Our Commitment to Sustainability
For nearly 30 years Mars has been diligently pursuing a cocoa sustainability strategy. The company’s goal is to secure responsible cocoa production and the future supply of the crop. Our aim is for cocoa to thrive in harmony with the environment and to the benefit of the communities involved throughout the cocoa supply chain.
Scientists working to create genetically modified chocolate – to make you healthy
FORGET penicillin, space travel and the silicon chip. Science is on the verge of its greatest discovery – chocolate that’s good for you.
DNA experts are working with sweet giants Mars to create genetically modified chocolate that fights heart disease and diabetes and won’t make you fat.
They’ve already been at it for two years. And they claim that in another five, they could unlock the secret of how to make chocolate healthy.
See also: 70% of World’s Raw Chocolate Soon To Be Genetically Modified
The scientists say the secret lies in the genetic code of the cocoa bean.
The beans contain chemicals called flavonols which lower blood pressure and help keep the heart healthy.
And the scientists believe they can change the DNA of the cocoa tree so it produces beans with far higher levels of flavonols.
They also hope to produce beans that fight diabetes, as well as making the fat in cocoa much healthier.
Dr Howard-Yana Shapiro, global director of plant science and research at Mars, said: “The idea is that this is something that wi l l become the norm – healthy fats, high levels of flavonols.
“Chocolate will become something quite different in 10, 15, 20 years, and we are on that track now.
“It is not something we can deliver tomorrow, but maybe in f ive years we can.”
Dr Shapiro, who is also a professor at the University of California, got £6million from Mars to fund the cocoa DNA project.
Computer giants IBM, who analyse the data, and the US Department of Agriculture are also involved.
It took two years to disentangle the cocoa tree’s 420 million units of DNA.
Dr Shapiro and his team are now checking all 34,997 of the tree’s genes in a bid to find the ones that will help them make healthy chocolate.
Let’s hope they finish their work soon. Then they can move on to chips, crisps, curries and pies.
Nov 15 2010 Janice Burns
Source: Daily Record
GM food alters your DNA, changes your brain waves, destroys your immune system, your organs and makes you infertile.
- MIT Scientists Develop GMO Plant That Produces Pharmaceutical Drugs
- USDA Plans To Allow GM Sugar Beet Planting During Lawsuit
- 10 Freakiest Things About Frankenfish
- GM Flax Contamination Detected in 35 Countries
- Study: GM Corn ‘Has Polluted Rivers Across The United States’
- FDA Refuses to Require Labeling of GM Salmon
- GM Salmon Nears US Approval
- RED ALERT: Dr. Rima E. Laibow On The Food Safety Bill (S 510): This Bill Eliminates All Local Farming, Organic Farmers and Garden Farmers
- US: GM Salmon May Go On Sale
- GMO Sugar Beets – Monsanto Wins Again
- US: Rice Farmer Awarded $500,000 In GM Rice Trial
- Scientist Leading Taxpayer-Funded GM Crop Test Defends Links To US Biotech Giant Monsanto
- US Supreme Court Lifts Ban On Monsanto’s GM Alfalfa
- UK Academics Quit Rigged FSA Frankenfood Propaganda
- Study: Monsanto’s Roundup Kills Human Cells (Flashback)
- GMO Alert: US Attempting Global Censorship of GMO Food Labeling
- California Files Legal Brief Opposing Monsanto in US Supreme Court
- Russian Scientists Prove Genetically Modified Foods are Harmful, Suggest Ban on GM Foods
- Bayer AG admits GMO contamination out of control
- Monsanto: GM-Corn Harvest of 82,000 Hectares in South Africa Fails (!)
- Multiple Ways Monsanto is Putting Normal Seeds Out of Reach
- Monsanto’s Genetically Modified Seed Patents May Trump Antitrust Claims
- Former Managing Director of Monsanto India: Monsanto ‘Faked’ Data for Approvals
- Monsanto GM Corn Causing Organ Failure In Rats: Study (Everything You Need To Know)
- Scientist: Monsanto’s herbicide could cause brain, intestinal and heart defects in foetuses
- Hawaii: GMO taro ban proposal goes to full council
- Monsanto to Charge as Much as 42 % More for New Seeds!
- US Association of Physicians calls for Moratorium on GMO Foods
- Monsanto sues Germany over GM corn ban
- Germany bans Monsanto’s GM maize
- Greenpeace: No need for condoms – GE corn can do the job
- Austrian Government Study Confirms Genetically Modified (GM) Crops Threaten Human Fertility and Health Safety
- BIODIVERSITY: Privatisation Making Seeds Themselves Infertile
- At stake is no less than control of the world’s food supply.
- Exposed: the great GM crops myth:
“Genetic modification actually cuts the productivity of crops, an authoritative new study shows, undermining repeated claims that a switch to the controversial technology is needed to solve the growing world food crisis.”
Highly recommended videos:
- Life running out of control – Genetically Modified Organisms (!)
- The World According to Monsanto – A documentary that Americans won’t ever see. (!)
Obama and Monsanto:
- Obama Gives Key Agriculture Post to Lobbyist of CropLife America Whose Members Include Monsanto, Syngenta, DuPont and Dow Chemical
- Obama Gives ‘Pesticide Lobbyist’ Post as Chief Agricultural Negotiator
- Monsanto lobbyists to be placed in charge of food safety by Obama
On CODEX and the agenda of the elite:
- Dr. Rima E. Laibow: The Globalist Depopulation Agenda
- Dr. Rima E. Laibow on Codex Alimentarius and Food Nazification (!)
- Dr. Rima E. Laibow on the Contamination of the Food Supply & Deadly Antibiotics
- Codex Alimentarius: Population Control Under the Guise of Consumer Protection
- One Nation Under Siege – Full Theatrical Release
- Nutricide – Criminalizing Natural Health, Vitamins, and Herbs
Tags: Chocolate, Genetically Modified Organisms, GMO, Health, Mars, news, Scientists