Worst snowfall in 30 years – up to 4½ meters (14 ft) in the mountains.
4 June 2016 – According to Government Secretary of the Department of Las Heras, Raul Villafane, the area involved is from Uspallata to the tunnel mouth, where more than 10 thousand people are affected.
Uspallata, Polvaredas, Punta de Vacas, Mundo Perdido (Lost World), Penitentes, Puente del Inca and Las Cuevas, are all towns that under the snow.
The nívea (snow) accumulation ranges from 35 cm to 4½ meters in Las Cuevas, said Villafane. It has been 30 years since it snowed so much. Continue reading »
Winter Storm Watch from Tues afternoon through late Weds night for the South Washington and north Oregon Cascades.
National Weather Service… Portland OR
- Timing: snow will continue into the evening, heavy at times. Then decrease later tonight. Snow is expected to increase Tuesday afternoon and continue through Wednesday night.
- Accumulations: expect additional snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches tonight. From 1 to 3 feet (12 to 36 cm) of new snow is possible late Tuesday through Wednesday night.
- Snow levels: snow levels will briefly rise to between 3000 and 4000 feet this afternoon before falling to between 2000 and 2500 feet tonight and Tuesday, and between 1500 and 2500 feet Wednesday and Wednesday night.
- Winds: Wind gusts to 70 mph at higher elevations this evening may cause blowing and drifting snow with low visibilities.
- Impacts: roads will be snow covered and slick, causing travel difficulties.http://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=e9b5c468d16c8434&hl=en&gl=US&source=wweather