— Waking Slaves ✊ (@sara8smiles) September 12, 2017
* * *
And why not????? Putin will be delighted.
When we reported yesterday about Putin’s surprisingly harsh response to last week’s House legislation to launch new sanctions against Russia, which also binds Trump from unilaterally removing sanctions without getting Congressional approval, we concluded that “now we await the US re-retaliation in what is once again the same tit-for-tat escalation that marked the latter years of the Obama regime, as the US Military Industrial Complex breathes out a sigh of relief that for all the posturing by Trump, things between Russia and the US are back on autopilot.”
We didn’t have long to wait.
In the 1960’s and 1970’s the US government tested chemical and biological weapons on US troops in still little known secret programs called Projects 112 and SHAD (Shipboard Hazard and Defense). The Vietnam era tests involved some 6,000 military personnel being subject to experiments involving deadly nerve agents like sarin and VX, as well as biological agents like E. Coli, all of which can result in quick death or potential lifelong debilitating health issues such as long-term central nervous system failure. A fatal dose of VX nerve agent, for example, can kill in minutes, but it is unknown if the program resulted in deaths because documents remain classified as “Top Secret” even 50 years later. Veterans advocacy groups have long tried to get specifics of the program declassified in the hopes that disclosure might allow victims of the tests access to health benefits and better medical treatment, but on Thursday Congress slammed the door on these attempts, leaving veterans and some congressional sponsors outraged.
H/t reader squodgy:
“Uncle Sam NEEDS YOU!!!!
Now you know why!”
* * *
The Pentagon carried out a series of secret chemical and biological weapons tests on American military personnel in the 1960s and 1970s, McClatchy DC reports.
Known as Project 112 and Shipboard Hazard and Defense (SHAD), some 6,000 military personnel were involved in the tests, most from the Army and Navy.
Two days after Trump ceded unilateral authority on Afghan troop deployments to the Department of Defense, the Pentagon wasted on time and according to AP, the Pentagon will send 4,000 additional American forces to Afghanistan to support existing forces and in hopes of breaking a stalemate in a war that has now been passed on to a third U.S. President. The deployment will be the largest of American manpower under Donald Trump’s young presidency.
According to AP, the decision by Defense Secretary Jim Mattis could be announced as early as next week, and was prompted by “the rising threat posed by Islamic State extremists, evidenced in a rash of deadly attacks in the capital city of Kabul, has only fueled calls for a stronger U.S. presence, as have several recent American combat deaths.” Asked for comment, a Pentagon spokesman, Navy Capt. Jeff Davis, said, “No decisions have been made.”
Defense department says use of private apartment for White House Military Office, which safeguards device holding launch codes, will not benefit president
The Pentagon is finalizing a lease on a privately owned apartment in Trump Tower for the use of the White House Military Office, according to a letter seen by Reuters.
The Military Office carries and safeguards the “football”, the device that contains the top secret launch codes the president needs to order a nuclear attack, as well as providing secure communications wherever the president is.
“The Day Before 9/11 Secretary Of Defense Donald Rumsfeld Declared That The Pentagon Cannot Account For $2,3 Trillion”
Over a mere two decades, the Pentagon lost track of a mind-numbing $10 trillion — that’s trillion, with a fat, taxpayer-funded “T” — and no one, not even the Department of Defense, knows where it went or on what it was spent.
Even though audits of all federal agencies became mandatory in 1996, the Pentagon has apparently made itself an exception, and — fully 20 years later — stands obstinately orotund in never having complied.
Following our discussion of the unprecedented bombing-fest that has been undertaken during President Obama’s reign…
Seven years after being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his “extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples,” despite having been in office for less than one year and having pretty much no actual, tangible foreign diplomacy accomplishments at the time, President Obama will depart the White House having dropped 26,171 bombs on foreign countries around the world in 2016, 3,027 more than 2015.
(ZHE) The Pentagon’s goal was simple, empower the Defense Business Board (DBB), a federal advisory panel of corporate executives, to retain consultants to identify potential cost savings in the Department of Defense’s $580 billion budget. But, when the DBB study revealed a “clear path to saving over $125 billion,” a level of waste which spoke to the egregious mismanagement and incompetence of DoD leaders, it was clear something had to be done to bury the story. Now, according to the Washington Post, that is exactly what happened.
The Pentagon has buried an internal study that exposed $125 billion in administrative waste in its business operations amid fears Congress would use the findings as an excuse to slash the defense budget, according to interviews and confidential memos obtained by The Washington Post.
Last week, we first touched on a topic which, in any non-banana republic, would be a far greater scandal than what Ryan Lochte may or may not have been doing in a Rio bathroom: namely, government corruption, falsification and potential fraud and embezzlement, which has resulted in the Pentagon being unable to account for up to $8.5 trillion in taxpayer funding.
Today, Reuters follows up on this disturbing issue, and reveals that the Army’s finances are so jumbled it had to make trillions of dollars of improper accounting adjustments to create an illusion that its books are balanced. The Defense Department’s Inspector General, in a June report, said the Army made $2.8 trillion in wrongful adjustments to accounting entries in one quarter alone in 2015, and $6.5 trillion for the year. Yet the Army lacked receipts and invoices to support those numbers or simply made them up.
Sailors And Marines Can Officially Declare They Are Transgenders This Fall … Before declaring transgender status, these service-members have to be at the start, in the middle of, or finished transitioning. Only then will they be able to ask for a formal gender switch in the database system, Navy Times reports. –Daily Caller
It is helpful for transgender people that the Pentagon now has a policy for them if they are in the service. In fact, it is surely a lingering and personal tragedy for those who feel they are the wrong sex.
But the bigger issue regarding the Pentagon is its immense and murderous corruption. In some sense, news like this is being promoted to distract us from the Pentagon’s ongoing problems.
The Pentagon still cannot officially account for some $8 trillion-plus in spending, according to a Department of Defense inspector general’s report released here at the end of July 2016.
H/t reader squodgy:
Is this the same Accounting Dept of the Pentagon that was blown up by a cruise missile on 9/11 whilst Building 7 mysteriously got pulled, both buildings housing audit teams investigating the Black hole of mis-directed funds
So obviously we must trust these revised estimates. Yerright!!!
* * *
US Defense Secretary Ash Carter is a man who knows that actions speak far louder than words.
That’s why when Washington’s feud with China over the latter’s land reclamation efforts in the South China Sea reached a boiling point last year, Carter made a trip to the Pacific and had someone snap this picture of him riding in a helicopter with an aircraft carrier visible in the background.
All jokes aside, Carter is in somewhat of a tough spot. America’s disastrous foreign policy blunders in Ukraine, Syria, and Iraq and Washington’s bungled attempts to deal with an ascendant China, a resurgent Russia, and an Iran which is marking a triumphant return to the world stage, have left the defense chief with a laundry list of problems.
At the top of that list is ISIS.
Lobro and Arnold reflect on the vast wealth of the Jews and ask, “Where have all the missing dollars gone?” I once asked economist Ellen Brown the same two questions asked by a commenter on this site a couple of days ago: (1) What percentage of the world’s wealth is in Jewish hands? (2) What percentage of America’s wealth is in Jewish hands? I don’t remember her exact words, but her response went something like this: “There are no figures giving these details; and if there were, they would be suppressed.” (LD)
ARNOLD: The Jews control all three branches of our government with bribes and blackmail. They control the media. They took over our government for one purpose alone: to control America and exploit it in the service of Israel and the Jewish people.
50% of the campaign contributions to the Democratic party comes from the Jewish lobby (40% for Republicans). Ten times as much money flows under the table in secret bribes and secret deals.
The US empire’s alliance with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia continues to imperil any semblance of credibility the US tries to claim on the issue of human rights. On Saturday, January 2, Saudi Arabia executed 47 people, including non-violent pro-reform and pro-democracy protesters.
Three days prior to the executions, the Pentagon announced a series of multi-million dollar weapons contracts US companies had completed with Saudi Arabia that were approved by the Department of Defense. The beneficiaries of the large contracts are Boeing, Advanced Electronics and Raytheon.