– ENSSER: 297 Scientists And Experts Agree GMOs Not Proven Safe:
*EU chief scientist Anne Glover’s backing for GM condemned as “irresponsible”
– Tory MP Zac Goldsmith: Pro-GMO Environment Secretary Owen Paterson Is ‘Industry Puppet’
– UK Food Minister Owen Paterson Backs GM Crops, Calls Consumer Opposition To The Technology A ‘Complete Nonsense’
– Paterson and Glover push GMOs in Africa at taxpayers’ expense (GM Watch, Feb 12, 2014):
On 25-26 February the UK environment secretary Owen Paterson and the EU’s chief lobbyist (sorry, scientist) Anne Glover will promote GMOs at a workshop in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Also speaking will be a large number of well known GM evangelists from Europe, such as Matin Qaim and Joachim Schiemann.
Continue reading »
Tags: Africa, Agriculture, Anne Glover, Environment, Ethiopia, EU, Europe, Food, Genetically Modified Organisms, Global News, GMO, Government, Owen Paterson, Politics, U.K.
– Tory MP says pro-GM Environment Secretary Owen Paterson is “industry puppet” (GM Watch, July 3, 2013):
EXCERPT: “Any half-way decent GM enthusiast with a scientific background would have blushed during much of the speech Owen Paterson made. You have to wonder about the government’s gung-ho attitude to GM – you can’t stuff pollen back into a tin,” he [Zac Goldsmith] said.
Tory MP says pro-GM Environment Secretary Owen Paterson is “industry puppet”
Richmond Park MP accused fellow party member of ‘nonsensical’ claims about GM benefits of GM technology
The Independent, 3 Jul 2013
Tory MP Zac Goldsmith has made a vociferous attack on Owen Paterson, the Environment Secretary, over his campaign to bring genetically modified (GM) crops to Britain.
Continue reading »
Tags: EU, Europe, Food, Genetically Modified Organisms, Global News, GMO, Government, Owen Paterson, Politics, U.K., Zac Goldsmith
– Food minister Owen Paterson backs GM crop (Telegraph, Dec 9, 2012):
Genetically modified food should be grown and sold widely in Britain and consumer opposition to the technology is a “complete nonsense”, the Cabinet minister in charge of food and farming has said.
Owen Paterson, the Environment Secretary, made the remarks as ministers prepare to relax controls on the cultivation of GM crops, which he said had “real environmental benefits”.
Some senior Government figures privately believe that the technology — which can increase crop yields and prevent disease — is essential in assuring Britain’s future food security and to avoid dependency on imports.
Tags: Environment, Food, Genetically Modified Organisms, GMO, Government, Health, Owen Paterson, U.K.