- US Nuclear Professor: Fukushima “a really major event here”, Washington had radioactive aerosols 100,000 times normal; “Far more bigger accident than we’re hearing” — Model shows West Coast completely blacked out due to particles covering area — Gundersen: Lung cancers to start increasing in Pacific Northwest (AUDIO) (ENENews, Nov 16, 2014):
Seattle Post-Intelligencer’s “Big Science Blog” by Jake Ellison, Nov. 13, 2014 (emphasis added): Tiny amount of Fukushima radiation reaches West Coast; does it worry you? A water sample taken in August from about 100 miles west of Eureka, California, has been found to contain a small amount of radiation from the 2011 Fukushima nuclear plant disaster… Basically, scientists say it’s nothing more than a curiosity or confirmation of models… but the rumors and fears surrounding radiation contamination are hard to dampen. This is the second time radiation from Japan has shown up on our shores. In March , we reported: “A bit of cesium-134… has been detected in a soil sample taken from the beach… in British Columbia”
Some may recall that radioactive material from Japan has shown up on the shores of the Pacific Northwest even before March 2014 — actually about 3 years before: Continue reading »
Tags: Environment, Fukushima, Global News, Japan, Nuclear, Nuclear reactors, Pacific Northwest, Radiation, U.S.
- Fukushima Student: “It seems like we are about to get killed” — “Anyone, please, please save the lives of Fukushima people and children… Gov’t abandoned us… Japan is clearly going insane… Nothing has gotten better” (VIDEO) (ENENews, Nov 13, 2014):
IMDb – Kakusei: The Fukushima End (2014), Blondion Productions: Today the Japanese government assures its people of Fukushima’s safety and urges residents to move back. However, citizens are not convinced… Through the experiences of five individuals, this documentary reflects upon how culture has influenced the choices citizens make everyday, and how those have changed.
Closing scene from ‘Kakusei’:
- Hikaru Abe, student in Soma, Fukushima (40 km north of Fukushima Daiichi) who stayed behind after his mother and younger brother evacuated: “Nothing has gotten better… The government was incapable to deal with issues, covered up information we needed and even put pressure on us. While many human errors were seen, people in Fukushima worked hard to move on with the support from all over the country. Fukushima is in the process of recovery. Our government abandoned us. Anyone, please, please save the lives of Fukushima people and children. Japan is clearly going insane. It seems like we are about to get killed. Please lend your strength to Fukushima.” Continue reading »
Tags: Environment, Fukushima, Global News, Government, Health, Japan, Nuclear, Nuclear reactors, Politics, Radiation, Society
- TV: Attempt to stop flow of highly radioactive liquid at Fukushima “in doubt” — AP: Much of it is pouring in trenches going out into Pacific — Experts: Amount entering ocean “increasing by 400 tons daily” — Problem “so severe” it’s consuming nearly all workers at site — Top Plant Official: “Little cause for optimism” (VIDEO) (ENENews, Nov 13, 2014):
NHK, Nov. 13, 2014 (emphasis added): Radioactive water may still be entering tunnels — [TEPCO] faces another challenge in its effort to address radioactive water at the complex. It says highly contaminated water may still be flowing from reactor buildings into adjacent underground tunnels even after a work to stem the flow ended. The water in the tunnels is believed to be leaking into the sea… the firm began work in April to stem the flow of radioactive water between the reactor buildings and the tunnels… TEPCO finished the work on November 6th. But workers found that water levels in the reactor buildings and the tunnels are still linked…
ITAR-TASS, Nov 14, 2014: Radioactive water discharge from Fukushima Daiichi NPP into ocean continues; According to specialists, the volume of contaminated liquid that is leaking into the ocean is increasing by 400 tons daily — The repair operations… aimed at preventing radioactive water discharges into the ocean have yielded no result, the NPP operator [TEPCO] reported on Friday. The water… is still leaking into the NPP drainage system even after last week’s operations to stop the leak… [D]ue to the major damage of the plant’s infrastructure most of the water that is poured in… leaks into the drainage system and gets into the ground waters and then into the Pacific Ocean… The radioactive contamination level in the ground waters, according to TEPCO, is very high… Continue reading »
Tags: Environment, Fukushima, Global News, Japan, Nuclear, Nuclear reactors, Oceans, Radiation
- Japanese doctors threatened for revealing data on how bad Fukushima-related illnesses have become — Gundersen: We had pregnant sisters in Tokyo deliver two dead babies and one with deformities that’s alive; Gov’t refuses to disclose miscarriages or stillbirths around Fukushima (AUDIO) (ENENews, Nov 12, 2014):
Excerpts from Nuclear Hotseat w/ Libbe HaLevy, Nov. 12, 2014 (at 33:15 in):
- Nuclear expert Arnie Gundersen, Fairewinds Energy Education: We have firsthand knowledge from at least a half dozen Japanese doctors… who have said they have been threatened… if they speak frankly to their patients about the health effects that they’re experiencing; or if they frankly speak in public about their fears — and, in fact, measurements — of how bad radioactive illnesses really are. So we know of at least a half a dozen doctors who are being ‘sat on’, and if 6 are, you can be certain that many more are as well. It’s a pressure that’s being applied up and down the spectrum… [You would now expect] exactly what we’re seeing — earlier cancers and thyroid nodules. Then over the next 15 to 20 years, increased organ cancers as well as muscular cancers… The fact of the matter is, we’re going to see cancers in that 4 to 30 year time span. And I still stand by what I’ve been saying now for 3 years. I think there will be a million extra cancers as a result of Fukushima Daiichi. Continue reading »
Tags: Arnie Gundersen, Children, Environment, Fukushima, Global News, Government, Health, Japan, Nuclear, Nuclear reactors, Politics, Radiation, Society, TOKYO
- Russia, Iran sign nuclear construction deal for 8 units (RT, Nov 11, 2014):
Russia is to build eight nuclear power units in Iran, as a new partnership agreement, guaranteed by the IAEA, was signed in Moscow on Tuesday.
The head of the Rosatom, Sergey Kirienko, and the chief of the Atomic Energy Agency of Iran, Ali Akbar Salehi, signed a series of documents, promoting the links in the field of peaceful application of atomic energy between the countries, RIA Novosti reports. Continue reading »
Tags: Global News, Government, Iran, Military, Nuclear, Nuclear reactors, Politics, Russia
- Radiation levels spike 7,000% at US nuclear site — AP: Workers shelter inside buildings — Officials: It was less than we anticipated; Contaminated sample so safe “it could have been… put in someone’s lunch bucket” (VIDEO) (ENENews, Nov 11, 2014):
AP, Nov. 6, 2014 (emphasis added): A pair of air samplers at [New Mexico’s WIPP] nuclear waste repository detected low levels of radioactive contamination after workers restarted one of the fans… workers took shelter inside buildings before restarting the fan
Carlsbad Current Argus, Nov. 10, 2014: A new small, but measurable amount of radiation was detected… [Tim Runyon, of WIPP Recovery Communications said] officials were expecting a small radiation leak
U.S. Dept. of Energy — WIPP Air Sampling Results for Station B (pdf), Nov. 6, 2014: Continue reading »
Tags: Environment, Global News, Nuclear, Radiation, U.S.
- Canadian scientists detect “significant” concentrations of radioactive material off West Coast, levels double in months since last test — Marine Chemist: “Much greater concern” over Fukushima releases that will be hitting shores of US & Canada; Lack of data “really disturbing” (AUDIO) (ENENews, Nov 11, 2014):
Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada (pdf), Oct. 22, 2014 (emphasis added): Arrival of Fukushima radioactivity in North American continental waters… The radioactivity plume was transported northeastward towards North America by the Kuroshio Current… Water samples were collected… in June of 2011, 2012 and 2013 and February, 2014 on a line (Line P) extending to a location (Sta. P26), approximately 1500 km west of Victoria, BC… [W]ater samples collected in June, 2012 at Sta. P26 detected 134Cs at levels indicating the presence of contamination from the Fukushima nuclear reactor accident. The 2013 results revealed the presence of 134Cs in the upper 100 m along the entire length of Line P indicating that the Fukushima signal had fully arrived in Canadian territorial waters. Levels of Fukushima 137Cs were about 1 Bq/m3 in June, 2013 which is equivalent to previous background levels of 137Cs from atmospheric fallout. These levels had increased to values of about 2 Bq/m3 by February, 2014. These 137Cs concentrations are significant, but are several orders of magnitude below those that would be considered a threat to the environment or human health.
Call with Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution marine chemist Ken Buesseler, June 2014: Continue reading »
Tags: Canada, Environment, Fukushima, Global News, Japan, Nuclear, Nuclear reactors, Radiation
- Top Headline: ‘Fukushima radiation identified off northern California’ — 50% of samples around West Coast test positive — 7.7 Bq/m3 of cesium near California shore, expected to keep rising for years to come (MAP) (ENENews, Nov 11, 2014):
Statesman Journal, Nov. 10, 2014 at 8:22a ET: Fukushima radiation identified off northern California — Low-level radiation from Japan’s Fukushima nuclear accident has been detected in multiple samples of ocean water off the Pacific Coast of the U.S. and Canada, the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution is reporting. The sample nearest to shore was taken about 100 miles off the coast of Eureka, in Northern California… Massive amounts of contaminated water were released from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant… Radioactive water has continued to leak and be released from the complex… No state or federal agency is testing Pacific waters for radiation… [Ken Buesseler, a WHOI marine chemist] is looking for cesium-134, the so-called “fingerprint” of Fukushima… He’s also looking for higher-than-background levels of cesium-137, another Fukushima isotope that already is present in the world’s oceans… Buesseler partnered with a group of volunteers on the research vessel ‘Point Sur’ to take a series of about 50 samples offshore, from Dutch Harbor, Alaska to Eureka. So far, about 20 of those samples have been analyzed, and 10 have been positive for cesium-134… Continue reading »
Tags: California, Environment, Fukushima, Global News, Japan, Nuclear, Nuclear reactors, Radiation
- Obama Authorizes Plan To Double Number Of Troops In Iraq (ZeroHedge, Nov 7, 2014):
If you like your boots-on-the-ground, you can keep them… and have some more. Whether a strawman or not, Reuters reports that according to US officials, the U.S. military has drawn up plans to significantly increase the number of American forces in Iraq, which now total around 1,400, as Washington seeks to bolster Iraqi forces battling the Islamic State.
- *OBAMA AUTHORIZES 1,500 MORE U.S. MILITARY PERSONNEL FOR IRAQ
- *OBAMA REQUESTING $5.6 BILLION MORE TO FIGHT ISLAMIC STATE
- *WHITE HOUSE PRESS SECRETARY SAYS TROOPS WON’T BE IN COMBAT ROLE
- *PENTAGON TO SET UP NEW OPERATIONS, TRAINING CENTER IN IRAQ
Via Reuters, Continue reading »
Tags: Barack Obama, Global News, Government, Iraq, ISIL, ISIS, Nuclear, Obama administration, Terrorism, U.S.
- NYTimes: Doctors want ban on thyroid cancer screenings — “A tsunami of thyroid cancer… Stop the diagnosis… We need to actively discourage early detection” — WSJ: Judge rules nuclear reactors causing thyroid cancers — Study: Fukushima-related tumors can spread very fast, must be closely monitored (ENENews, Nov 7, 2014):
New York Times, Nov. 5, 2014 (emphasis added): To the shock of many cancer experts, the most common cancer in South Korea… is now thyroid cancer, whose incidence has increased fifteenfold in the past two decades. “A tsunami of thyroid cancer,” as one researcher puts it… Cancer experts agree that the reason for the situation in South Korea and elsewhere is not a real increase in the disease. Instead, it is down to screening… “It’s a warning to us in the U.S. that we need to be very careful in our advocacy of screening,” said Dr. Otis W. Brawley, chief medical officer at the American Cancer Society… some doctors, including Dr. Hyeong Sik Ahn of the College of Medicine at Korea University in Seoul, the first author of the new paper, have called for thyroid cancer screening to be banned… Thyroid experts in the United States are calling for restraint in diagnosing and treating tiny tumors… Dr. R. Michael Tuttle… said the best way… was to “stop the diagnosis… decrease screening” Continue reading »
Tags: Cancer, Fukushima, Global News, Health, Japan, Nuclear, Nuclear reactors, Radiation, South Korea, Thyroid, thyroid cancer
- Emergency radiation testing used at Democrat and Republican conventions after Fukushima; Also for Obama Inauguration — Seafood, meat, vegetables, milk, water checked for nuclear waste, while top officials agree to publicly downplay crisis — 80% of milk samples by Orlando, FL had ‘significant’ Cs-137 (ENENews, Nov 5, 2014):
New York State Department of Health’s Wadsworth Center, Aug. 2012 (emphasis added): The Wadsworth Center, which has already tested milk samples in preparation for the upcoming national political conventions, has now been asked to test additional samples of other foods from the sites during the conventions. In August and September, during the conventions… labs will test water, lettuce, orange juice and shrimp for radiological contamination. The labs will also be testing for… radiation in various meat products… These surveillance activities are part of the Food Emergency Response Network‘s (FERN) ongoing preparations for the Republican Convention… and the Democratic Convention… The labs will be testing for… iodine-131 [Half life = 8 days], cesium-137 and other… sources of radiation. Should any contaminants be identified… laboratories across the nation could be called on to test large quantities of samples… Wadsworth’s initial role in the role in the political convention preparation exercises was to measure evidence of radioactive isotopes Iodine-131 and Cesium-137 in milk prior to the conventions. Continue reading »
Tags: Barack Obama, Environment, Food, Fukushima, Global News, Japan, Nuclear, Nuclear reactors, Obama administration, Politics, U.S.
- Food products ‘heavily contaminated’ by Fukushima found in US; Over 30,000 pCi/kg of cesium, also had Cobalt-60 and Antimony-124 — FDA: We found no Fukushima contamination in US food supply during routine monitoring (ENENews, Nov 3, 2014):
Dr. Robert Metzger, Radiation Safety Engineering, Inc, American Chemical Society 2013 Meeting (emphasis added): Contamination of food imports to the United States in the early days after the Fukushima accident… Contaminated food imports into the US from Japan were first observed in our laboratory on March 30, 2011, with several products exceeding the FDA Derived Intervention Level (DIL) for Cesium and Iodine…
Dr. Metzger’s presentation excerpts, Feb 8, 2014:
- First observed food… contamination was found on March 30… a Sushi import was found to be contaminated with 131I
- April 5, a shipment of Koji powder was… heavily contaminated with 60Co, 124Sb, 131I, 132Te, 134Cs and 137Cs… This, and subsequent samples, exceeded the FDA [DIL] Continue reading »
Tags: Barack Obama, FDA, Food, Fukushima, Global News, Government, Health, Japan, Kelp, Nuclear, Nuclear reactors, Obama administration, Politics, Radiation, U.S.
- Official: Fukushima “destroyed our life… it can destroy history itself” — Professor: “Very hard to imagine a future beyond Fukushima, it’s so uncontainable” — Filmmaker: Meltdowns “opened up a fissure in time and space… Horror of radiation menaces the future in the present” (VIDEOS) (ENENews, Nov 2, 2014):
Guggenheim Global Art Initiative — Q&A with the Otolith Group discussing their film ‘The Radiant’ which explores the aftermath of 3/11, published Oct. 29, 2014 (emphasis added):
- Anjalika Sagar (at 2:00 in): Things have got much worse — and at the same time that things have got much worse, you have an accelerated form of secrecy relating to the level of the contamination in food products, in the sea… We were interested in… the politics of how disposable this population has become… Where the threat of the earthquakes could possibly contaminate the whole of Japan, which has happened… Continue reading »
Tags: Environment, Fukushima, Global News, Japan, Nuclear, Nuclear reactors, Radiation
- Sinkhole develops under dam in US — 7 nuclear reactors downstream — Water now seeping out — Gov’t notified of ‘stability issues’, plants begin evaluating potential flood impacts — Official: An ‘uncommon’ occurrence, we’re monitoring it continuously and working around clock — Structure same height as Niagra Falls (PHOTOS) (ENENews, Oct 31,2014):
Johnson City Press, Oct. 30, 2014 (emphasis added): Oct. 20 inspection of [Tennessee’s Boone] dam revealed a sink hole… Six days later, an uncommon occurrence happened when seepage was found near the location of the sink hole at the base of the dam…
NRC, Oct. 30, 2014: … BOONE DAM STABILITY ISSUES… “TVA conducted a briefing for government officials… after discovery of a sink hole near the base… water and sediment [has been] found seeping from the river below the dam. TVA is continuously monitoring the dam… The dam is located upstream of all three TVA nuclear sites… The NRC Senior Resident Inspector was notified. The licensee is evaluating this event for potential impact on the design basis flooding level.” Continue reading »
Tags: Environment, Global News, Nuclear, Nuclear reactors
- US sailors “have won the major battle” in Fukushima lawsuit — Now 200 young Navy and Marines with leukemia, organs removed, brain tumors/cancer, blindness, more — Gov’t: Fukushima a terrible tragedy… Navy ships under threat and didn’t know where to go, some ‘very interesting’ moments… That radiation will kill you like a nuclear weapon (VIDEO) (ENENews, Oct 31, 2014):
Stars & Stripes, Oct. 30, 2014: A US federal judge has ruled that a class-action lawsuit filed by about 200 Navy sailors and Marines can proceed against [TEPCO, GE, EBASCO, Toshiba & Hitachi]…. “It is not over, but we have won the major battle,” lawyer Charles Bonner wrote… “THANK GOD!!!!!” responded Lindsay Cooper, the first USS Ronald Reagan sailor to come forward… [The] ruling was a bit of a surprise… [Sailors] alleged that TEPCO’s misinformation coaxed US forces closer… More ailing servicemembers came forward citing exposure-related ailments such as unexplained cancers, excessive bleeding and thyroid issues… [Attorneys] said additional plaintiffs are continuing to come forward with “serious ailments from radiation”
Bloomberg, Oct. 30, 2014: Judge Janis L. Sammartino… denied the request by [Tepco] to dismiss… Tepco had argued the U.S. military had contributed to the plaintiffs’ harm… Continue reading »
Tags: Fukushima, Global News, Government, Health, Japan, Military, Nuclear, Nuclear reactors, Politics, Radiation, USS Ronald Reagan
- Gundersen: Mutations in plants being reported after chronic Fukushima exposure — Professor: Mutant flowers found in Fukushima — Biologist: “Gigantic leaves, seeds very big” after nuclear disaster (VIDEO) (ENENews, Oct 29, 2014):
Nuclear expert Arnie Gundersen of Fairewinds Energy Education on Radio Ecoshock, Oct 27, 2014 (11:30 in): We work with a woman… an organic gardener. Every year, she’s taken the seeds from her garden, planted, then harvested seeds from those plants to be the next year’s crop. So she’s got 4 years now of seeds that have been growing about 30 miles (~50 km) from Fukushima. She’s beginning to experience gargantuanism in her food now, which is an indication of radiation damage. It’s one of the many DNA changes that occur after a couple of generations. So we know that gardeners and plants that are outside the exclusion zone are seeing the effects of chronic levels of radiation that the Japanese would choose to ignore. Continue reading »
Tags: Environment, Fukushima, Global News, Japan, Nuclear, Nuclear reactors, Politics, Radiation
- “Truly Frightening”: Doctors being threatened for linking illnesses to Fukushima — Strange tumors, kids dying, pets dying — Much higher incidences of whole range of health problems reported — Experts: 1,000,000 cancers, plus many other ailments poss (ENENews, Oct 28, 2014):
Arnie Gundersen of Fairewinds Energy Education on Radio Ecoshock, released Oct 29, 2014:
- Alex Smith, host of RadioEcoshock (at 10:30 in): We’ve heard almost nothing about the impacts [of the Fukushima catastrophe] on people in that region. There are accounts coming out of there of strange tumors, kids dying, pets dying — what have you heard? Can we ever expect an honest accounting from Japanese authorities?
- Arnie Gundersen, nuclear engineer (emphasis added): That’s a pretty good summary, frankly. We continue to get information from people who live there about cancer rates — and illnesses in general, not just cancer. We think of radiation as a cancer causing thing, but it also causes many other ailments. Much higher incidences of a whole range of illnesses than they had in 2010, the year before the accident… We’re also working with doctors in Japan, and some brave doctors are saying that they’ve been threatened — that their hospital rights have been threatened — if you tell your patient this illness is radiation related you’ll lose your right to practice and things like that. So there’s enormous pressure on the medical community to tell the patients that what they’re experiencing is not at all related to radiation. The key is statistics, and the question is when will the statistics be released for mortality, morbidity, and general illnesses… We’re not seeing the data. The medical community now has to file every report that it writes with the IAEA, the International Atomic Energy Agency, before it’s issued. So if you’re a hospital, and you’ve got mortality data, you’re not allowed to issue that to the public until those reports have been cleared by the IAEA. Well, Article II of the IAEA charter is to promote nuclear power. So even if the hospital was conscientious — there’s a lot of political pressure not to be — but even if it was conscientious, there’s another step in the process, and they’ve got to clear an IAEA hurdle before those numbers are released. It’s truly frightening, the pressure the medical community is undergoing in Japan. Very few of them are willing to tell the truth. Continue reading »
Tags: Arnie Gundersen, Cancer, Fukushima, Government, Health, Japan, Nuclear, Nuclear reactors, Politics, Radiation
- Radiation levels have surged at Fukushima plant — 100,000% of previous record high — TV: “Officials say they don’t know the cause… Typhoon may be to blame” (VIDEO) (ENENews, Oct 26, 2014):
NHK Transcript, Oct. 24, 2014 (h/t Deep13th Nuclear Waste Info): [TEPCO] says it has found high levels of radioactive cesium in groundwater in the compound. Officials at TEPCO say a recent typhoon may be the cause… TEPCO officials say water taken on Wednesday from a well had 460,000 becquerels of cesium per liter (Bq/l)… another well contained 424,000 becquerels. Officials say those levels are 800 to 900 times the previous peak. The wells are several meters west of the No. 2 reactor… The utility plans to treat the tainted groundwater and discharge it into the ocean, but local people strongly oppose the plan…
NHK, Oct. 24, 2014: High levels of radiation found at Fukushima plant… TEPCO officials say they don’t know what caused the rise. They speculate a recent typhoon may be to blame. Continue reading »
Tags: Environment, Fukushima, Global News, Japan, Nuclear, Nuclear reactors, Radiation