Ash covering the ground on Tuesday after Mount Tongariro erupted overnight in Turangi, New Zealand.
– Tongariro volcanic alert maintained (New Zealand Herald, Aug 7, 2012):
– Mt Tongariro erupted at 11.50pm last night, hurling rocks up to 1km.
– Ash cloud drifting to the east of Tongariro, landing as far as Napier city
– SH1 and SH46 have reopened. Flights to and from Napier cancelled, while other North Island services have been delayed.
– GNS: It was a hydrothermal-driven eruption, rather the magmatic
– It was the first eruption in more than a century
– Turoa and Whakapapa skifields remain open Continue reading »