The Chinese owning and operating nuclear power plants in Britain?
You can’t make this stuff up!
- Britain’s lights could go out next winter! EU green directives have left grid ‘close to limit’ (Daily Mail, Oct 25, 2013):
- Royal Academy of Engineering warns of risk as old plants begin to close
- Electrical system could be under the most pressure next winter
- National Grid last week warned of Britain’s risk of blackouts this winter
- Latest report suggests system should cover demand but will be stretched
- Power supply could be put at risk by low wind or even cold weather
Britain could be hit by power cuts next winter because the electricity supply is already ‘close to its limits’, experts warn.
Capacity is so stretched that a cold spell, combined with routine problems at one or more plants, could overwhelm the system and see blackouts in 2014-15, their damning report claims.
A major pressure on the National Grid is the forced closure of coal-fired power stations to meet European green directives, the Royal Academy of Engineering says.