– Tap water straight from the mains sold on shelves at Asda and Tesco (Daily Mail, Aug 17, 2012):
- What appears good value is tap water marked up 2,500 per cent
- Tesco start by saying the water originates from France – then admit it’s from UK mains
- Asda admit it is filtered Yorkshire Water
- Ethical group sustain believe people are being conned
Supermarkets are selling bottled tap water to millions of unsuspecting customers.
Bottles of Tesco ‘Everyday Value Still Water’ and Asda ‘Smartprice Still Water’ are sitting on shelves alongside big brands of mineral water such as Evian and Perrier.
However, there is no explanation on the label of these supermarket brands that the contents are simply tap water.
On the face of it, the supermarket water, which costs 17p for a two-litre bottle, offers remarkable value compared with the big brands. In reality it is no more than a filtered version of the mains water that comes out of the tap at a cost of just a third of a penny a litre.