HUNDREDS of extra police officers have been drafted in to protect women at Munich’s Oktoberfest, following a rise in the number of complaints of physical and sexual assault.
As many as six million people are expected to attend the famous beer festival, which started last Saturday and ends next Monday, October 3.
But after the first week, police have noticed a spike in the number of people asking officers for help, particularly females.
The large majority of requests have involved people who have lost their friends or belongings.
But so far there have been 10 complaints of physical or sexual violence. Two were instances of domestic violence, six cases of sexual violence and two cases of physical violence by a stranger.
There have also been 16 other reports of sexual insults and physical assaults.
Earlier this week a teenage boy was hailed hero after he stepped in to stop three thugs from attacking an 18-year-old girl on her way to the legendary Bavarian booze-up.
The festival has been running for two centuries and often sees violence erupt as revellers let loose.
Last year German police said they responded to more than 2,000 incidents including fights, theft and sexual assaults, including one attempted rape.
This year authorities in Munich have ramped up the security for the festival following three attacks in one week in the region this summer.
Two of the attacks were carried out by asylum seekers and Islamic State claimed responsibility for the incidents which saw several people wounded.
A teenager also fatally shot nine people in a shopping centre in Munich in July before killing himself.
Police said new security measures would include a backpack ban and a stronger police presence.
* * *