How about the BBC staff knew that not only the senior management was totally aware and supportive of Jimmy Savile’s crimes, but that this went way beyond senior management?
Last month the former head of Newsnight investigations claimed Alan Yentob, the BBC’s creative director, accused the journalists who exposed the corporation’s cover-up of Jimmy Savile’s crimes of being “traitors”.
Newsnight revealed the BBC’s attempts to stop the programme exposing Savile as a paedophile who carried out attacks on BBC premises.
More info down below.
LONDON — A long-awaited report into the culture at the BBC that allowed TV personality Jimmy Savile to abuse children while working there has found that senior management were unaware of his actions.
Dame Janet Smith’s review, published Thursday morning, found that, while some staff were aware of Savile’s conduct, none of them reported it to their managers. Therefore she “found no evidence that the BBC as a corporate body was aware of Savile’s conduct.”
In the conclusion to her report, Smith wrote:
My conclusion is that a number of BBC staff were aware of specific complaints about Savile’s conduct and in two cases were aware of his sexual interest in teenage girls, some of whom might have been underage. All of these people ought to have reported their awareness to their line managers or to someone in a more senior position. None of them did so. The result is that I must conclude that there is no evidence that any senior member of staff (of Head of Department status or above) was aware of Savile’s conduct. It follows that I have found no evidence that the BBC as a corporate body was aware of Savile’s conduct.
She added that a culture of “fear” prevented them from reporting their concerns.
(Fear of what???)
Smith’s report comes more than three years after the inquiry was officially launched by the BBC in 2012, aiming to investigate the corporation’s practises during the years it employed Savile. The presenter worked there from the early ’60s until 2007.
It identified 72 victims over several decades, including eight who were raped.
The report, which was released alongside another report into the conduct of another presenter, Stuart Hall, is viewable in full on the BBC Trust’s site.
Jimmy Savile was a BBC presenter for many years, presenting Top of the Pops and Jim’ll Fix It as well as shows on Radio 1. He died in 2011, after which allegations of abuse began.
Smith gave an additional statement on Thursday morning, saying: “Savile and Stuart Hall were serial sexual predators.”
“Savile was a danger to both girls and boys, opportunistic and shameless… his youngest victim was aged 8.”
“Stuart Hall targeted and groomed young girls, often plying them with alcohol… both of these men used their positions to abuse their positions.”
“They must be condemned for their monstrous behaviour.”
Speaking about the culture and structure of the corporation, Smith said: “There was a culture of not complaining or of raising concerns. BBC staff felt and were sometimes told it was not in their best interest to pursue a complaint.”
“There was a reluctance to rock the boat,” she added. “The management structure of the BBC was not only hierarchal but deferential.”
“I do recognise that many of these factors were common in the British workplace … but these are all matters that the BBC must address.”
Smith also addressed the victims, assuring them: “You are not to blame, your reasons for not reporting are wholly understandable.”
The BBC Trust published a statement in response to the findings, saying: “No one reading the reports can be in any doubt that the BBC failed [the victims]. It failed, not just them, but the public, its audiences and its staff.”
“It turned a blind eye, where it should have shone a light.”
— BBC Trust (@bbctrust) February 25, 2016
BBC director general Tony Hall also gave a statement following the release of the report Thursday, apologising to the victims and admitting failings at the corporation.
“The BBC failed you when it should have protected you,” he said.
He also said there was a “macho culture” at the BBC and that “ways of communicating within the BBC were inadequate.”
Closing his statement, he also addressed the victims. “You have shown extraordinary courage in coming forward and telling us all what you went through. We are determined to honour your courage,” he said, before making a series of promises.
“We will learn the lessons from these terrible times,” he said. “We will confront the issues head on.”
“We will continue to address them in an open and honest way. And we will be there for you. So over time the BBC can be a stronger and better organisation. And we can help bring some closure to this dark chapter. That is the very least we owe to you.”
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.
* * *
* * *
* * *
This is a GLOBAL PROBLEM …
And taking the CATHOLIC CHURCH as example:
Yes, they are SATANISTS:
Satanic hand sign:
Horned Hand or The Mano Cornuto: this gesture is the Satanic salute, a sign of recognition between and allegiance of members of Satanism or other unholy groups.
Inverted (satanic) cross:
B16 with Bent Crucifix – Piers Compton, in his book, “The Broken Cross: Hidden Hand In the Vatican,” 1981, explains. This Bent Crucifix is “… a sinister symbol, used by Satanists in the sixth century, that had been revived at the time of Vatican II. This was a bent or broken cross, on which was displayed a repulsive and distorted figure of Christ, which the black magicians and sorcerers of the Middle Ages had made use of to represent the Biblical term “Mark of the Beast.” Yet, not only Paul VI, but his successors, the two John-Pauls, (and now B16) carried that object and held it up to be revered by crowds, who had not the slightest idea that it stood for anti-Christ.”
In summary: We Are On Our Own
More on the catholic church:
– Pope Francis Pushed Civil Unions For Gays In 2010 As Cardinal (Washington Times)
– JESUIT Pope Francis Has Blood On His Hands (Zen-Haven)
– Pope Benedict’s Child Porn ‘Normal’ Claim Sparks Outrage Among Victims (Belfast Teleraph)
– Belgian Catholic Church Child-Sex Abuse Victims Sue Holy See (Sydney Morning Herald/AFP)
– Exorcists Wanted: Apply to Catholic Church (Reuters)
– UK Paedophile Priests Remain In The Priesthood (Guardian)
– Catholics, It’s You This Freemason-Satanist Pope Has Abused (Independent)
– Database of Catholic Priests Publicly Accused of Sexual Abuse in the US (BishopAccountability.org)
– Catholic Church is ‘like the Mafia’ (The Telegraph)
– Catholic Priest Raped Teenage Boy At Gunpoint (My San Antonio)
– Austrian Catholic Church Abuse Hot Lines Log 566 Reports This Year (Austrian Independent)
– Australian Bishop says ‘vast amount’ of sexual abuse cases yet to emerge (Sydney Morning Herald)
– Deaf Boys Tried to Tell of Priest’s Abuse FOR YEARS (New York Times)
– Christopher Hitchens Slams Vatican, Pope Over Sex Abuse Scandal (Huffington Post)
– The Pope Is Not Above the Law (Slate)
– Sex Abuse Victims to Sue Vatican (Times)
– Vatican knew of abuse in Ontario: Victim (Toronto Star)
– A church sex scandal where the truth is crucified (Toronto Star)
– Catholic Church quietly expelling and punishing children, homeless (Irish Central)
Former Milwaukee Archbishop Rembert Weakland routinely shredded copies of weekly reports about sexual abuse by priests, according to formerly sealed testimony turned over to Milwaukee County’s district attorney on Thursday.
– Catholic Church Child Abuse: Nuns Now Also Accused (Radio Netherlands Worldwide)
– Church: Pope Had Role in Moving Molesting Priest (Bloomberg)
– Pope will struggle to survive abuse scandal (Irish Independent)
– Benedict’s involvement ’shows extent of cover-ups’ (Irish Independent)
– Sinead O’Connor: I’d help Jesus to burn down the Vatican (Irish Independent)