– Senior Scientist: Fukushima is not under control; It has ‘alarm bells’ going off on West Coast — Former Official: I’m humiliated Japan lies to world about how much contamination is entering Pacific; Nuclear material “polluting ocean more and more” (AUDIO) (ENENews, June 4, 2014):
Nuclear Hotseat, May 21, 2014:
- 31:00 in — Katsutaka Idogawa, Former Mayor of Futaba, Fukushima: In the midst of all this sorrow, Prime Minister Abe is facing outward and promoting exports of nuclear power plants. […] As a Japanese citizen I am truly ashamed […] The contaminated water from the plant is polluting the Pacific Ocean more and more. I feel humiliated when Abe lies to the world, when he says the radioactive contamination is completely blocked from spreading further into the ocean. […] I urge the people of the world to take a look at us […] We’re living in conditions that punish us for what happened. Our dreams, our children’s futures, out towns have all been destroyed. We’ve been swept to the very margins of Japanese society and told to live there in silence. […] Nuclear facilities bring misfortune on human kind. We all need to raise our voices and demand a safe environment where we can live and children can have dreams. We inherited a clean environment from our parents, but I as a parent cannot pass along a clean and beautiful town to my own children. This sad situation can never happen again. Please, don’t just help us, please help human kind.
- Listen to the complete interview here
WCAI, May 19, 2014:
- 1:15 in — Dr. Ken Buesseler of Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution: We’ve been saying since the early months after that there was still continued leaks. And that’s what’s happening today — both from groundwater that gets into buildings and back into the ocean, and from the 1,000+ tanks […] So there’s two sources on land, it’s hardly under control — the word that they use to describe the situation.
- 3:00 in — Buesseler: I was actually surprised by the concern on the West Coast […] This combination of fear, and unknown with radioactivity — and that can cause cancer — and the word ‘Fukushima’ being a very horrific disaster that we all know, and no one making measurements, really got the alarm bells going on the West Coast.
- 8:00 in — Buesseler: We’re finding a larger interest than we expected as time goes on.
- Full WCAI broadcast available here