– UN Confirms Sarin Was Used, Unable To Confirm Numbers Or ‘Whodunnit’ (ZeroHedge, Sep 16, 2013):
While perhaps not entirely surprising, the UN’s report on the chemical weapons (alleged) usage in Syria has come back positive:
- *UN INSPECTORS SAY SARIN WAS RECOVERED FROM ROCKETS FOUND
- *UN FINDS ‘CONVINCING EVIDENCE’ OF SYRIA CHEMCIAL GAS USE: AP
- *BAN SAYS 85% OF BLOOD SAMPLES TESTED POSITIVE FOR SARIN GAS
- *BAN SAYS SAYS UN UNABLE TO VERIFY TOTAL DEATHS IN ATTACK
But of course – crucially:
- *UN REPORT, AS PLANNED, DOESN’T SAY WHO USED CHEMICALS IN SYRIA
“On the basis of the evidence obtained during the investigation of the Ghouta incident, the conclusion is that chemical weapons have been used in the ongoing conflict between the parties in the Syrian Arab Republic … against civilians, including children, on a relatively large scale,” the report said.
“In particular the environmental, chemical and medical samples we have collected provide clear and convincing evidence that surface to surface rockets containing the nerve agent sarin were used,” it said.
It is not clear whether the full report will include details that suggest culpability. Sellstrom’s mandate is limited to investigating the facts, not assigning blame.
Some Western diplomats have said on condition of anonymity that information about the type of weapons and other details Sellstrom might possess could hint at government responsibility for the attack.
Syria and Russia have blamed the August 21 attack on the rebels. The rebels, the United States and other Western powers blame forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad for the Ghouta attack.