- Fukushima reactor cooling system suspended: Kyodo (MarketWatch, June 30, 2012):
TOKYO–The cooling system for the spent fuel pool at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi power plant’s No. 4 reactor automatically suspended operation Saturday, Tokyo Electric Power Co. said, Kyodo News reported Saturday.
The utility known as Tepco has been unable to activate a backup cooling system for the pool and is looking into the cause of the trouble, officials of the plant operator said later in the day, adding it is unlikely the temperature will rise rapidly.
The water temperature of the pool was 31 C at the time of the suspension at around 6.25 a.m. local time and no leakage of water with radioactive materials has been found, Tepco said.
The temperature of the pool rose 0.26 C per hour by late Saturday afternoon, according to the utility.
If Tepco continues to be unable to cool the pool, the temperature could reach 65 C, which is the upper limit designated in the safety regulations, on Tuesday morning. The cooling system at the No. 4 reactor was previously suspended on June 4.
More on Fukushima Reactor 4 (SFP):
- Insane Japan: Demolition At Fukushima Reactor No.4 (Video)
- ABC Interview: ‘So If There Was A Problem With Reactor No. 4 SFP It Would Be The End Of Japan?’ – ‘Yes, There Is No One Who Denies That. We Cannot Sleep Peacefully’, Says Japan’s Former Ambassador To Switzerland (Video)
- Fukushima Reactor No. 4 Foundation So Soft It Needs Soil Stabilization – [LIVE] Tepco Removing Upper Part Of Reactor No. 4
- Japan Reactor Building Is Tilting But Not a Risk, Says (Lying Scum) TEPCO
- Japan Government To Start Fukushima Reactor No. 4 SFP Fuel Rod Removal This Year (A Year Ahead Of Schedule), Cites Buckling Building And Earthquake Concerns To Be Behind Change
- New TEPCO Report Admits Fukushima Reactor No. 4 Suffered One Explosion And 2 Fires In March 2011
- Fukushima Residents Blast TEPCO Nuke Disaster Report: Mayor: ‘This Report Is Not Just Sloppy In Content — It Includes Falsified Information’ – Official: ‘We Still Don’t Know What Happened In The Cores Of The No. 1, 2 And 3 Reactors’
- Fukushima Plant Faces Typhoon Summer With Added Tornado Threat – Nuclear Expert Prof. Kazuhiko Kudo: ‘Reactor No. 3 And No. 4 SFP’s Are Currently Naked’
- Nuclear Expert: No. 4 SFP May Have 5 Times More Cesium-137 Than Estimated – Either way, All Of Japan Would Be An Evacuation Zone
- Fate Of The World’ Depends On Reactor 4 … And TEPCO Finds A ‘Slight Bulge’ In Reactor 4 Building Wall
- Tokyo Soil So Contaminated With Radiation It Would Be Considered Nuclear Waste In The U.S. – If Reactor 4 Fuel Explodes, The World Is Done For
- Former Ambassador To Switzerland Mitsuhei Murata: Another Accident At No. 4 Reactor Building Could Cause The ‘Final Catastrophe Of The World’
- Former Senior Reactor Operator: You Can Get A Recriticality In Fukushima No. 4 SFP – ‘There’s No Way To Shut That Down’ – ‘There You Have Another Never Ending Fountain Of Particulates And Gas’ (VIDEO)
- Fukushima Reactor 4 Poses Massive Global Risk (CTV News): “… ‘Fate Of The World’ Depends On Reactor 4 … “
- TEPCO Data Reveals: Meltdown In Reactor 4 Spent Fuel Pool (Video)
- Nuclear Expert Believes Entire Fukushima Reactor No. 4 SFP Drained To The Point Of Boiling – Footage Shows Top Of Fuel Racks Were Exposed To Air (Video)
- ‘Doomsday Scenarios Spread About No. 4 Reactor At Fukushima Plant’ (Asahi Shimbun):
Mitsuhei Murata, 74, a professor emeritus at Tokaigakuen University who once served as Japan’s ambassador to Switzerland:
“If the storage pool should collapse and the 1,535 fuel rods began burning in the atmosphere, an endless amount of radiation would be emitted. Of course, that would mean that Tokyo would become unlivable,” he said.
Murata continued: “Just 50 meters from the No. 4 reactor is the common pool for the No. 1 to No. 6 reactors. The common pool holds 6,375 spent nuclear fuel rods. If a fire should occur at the No. 4 reactor pool, the common pool would also not stand a chance.”
- Nuclear Prof. Hiroaki Koide: 5,000 Hiroshima Bombs Worth Of Cesium-137 In Reactor No. 4 SFP A ‘Low Estimate’ (VIDEO)
- Which Will Collapse First, The Economy Or The Spent Fuel Pool At Fukushima? (Ambassador Murata: Total Number Of Spent Fuel Rods At Fukushima Daiichi Site Excluding The Rods In The Pressure Vessel Is 11,421!!!)
- Fukushima Reactor No. 4 Vulnerable To Catastrophic Collapse; Could Unleash 85 Times Cesium-137 Radiation Of Chernobyl; Human Civilization On The Brink
- Why Nuclear Scientists Have Missed The Danger Of Spent Fuel Pools … ‘Even Loss Of Circulation Of Coolant Will Lead To Overheating Of The Fuel And Extensive Fuel Damage’
- TEPCO: Not Enough Money To Handle Fukushima Nuclear Reactor 4 Problems … ‘Having The Potential To Destroy Our World And Civilization As We Know It’
- Robert Alvarez, A Former Nuclear Energy Adviser To President Bill Clinton, On Spent Fuel Pool Insanity:
Spent reactor fuel, containing roughly 85 times more long-lived radioactivity than released at Chernobyl, still sits in pools vulnerable to earthquakes.
- Fukushima Is Falling Apart: Are You Ready … For A Mass Extinction Event?:
If they are MOX fuel, containing 6% plutonium, one fuel rod has the potential to kill 2.89 billion people. If this pool collapses, as Senator Wyden is now saying too, we would face a mass extinction event from the release of radiation in those rods.
That is, if we aren’t in one already. Nuke experts like Arnie Gundersen and Helen Caldicott are prepared to evacuate their families to the southern hemisphere if that happens. It is that serious.
So now you know, if you didn’t before. We are in big trouble.
- Arnie Gunderson: More Cesium In Reactor 4 SFP Than All Nukes Ever Exploded
– Fukushima Reactor No. 4 Meltdown?
- Nuclear Expert Arnie Gundersen: Reactor No. 4 Spent Fuel Pool Likely To Shatter Or Collapse Onto Its Side In A Magnitude 7.0 Earthquake (AUDIO)
- Former Japanese Ambassador to Switzerland: ‘FATE Of Japan And The Whole World Depends On No.4 Reactor’
- Dr. Helen Caldicott (Co-Founder Of Physicians For Social Responsibility): What We Learned From Fukushima (Video – April 2, 2012):
Dr. Helen Caldicott: If Spent Fuel Pool No. 4 collapses I am evacuating my family from Boston.
- Former UN adviser: If No. 4 pool collapses I’ve been told ‘during 50 years continual, you cannot contain’ (VIDEO)
- MUST-SEE: Fukushima Totally Out Of Control – Radioactive Fallout In the US – Reactor 4 SFP Is the Highest Risk Now: If The Cooling Water Is Lost It’ll Be Just A Few Hours At Most Before That Waste Is On Fire (RT – The Big Picture – Video)
- Independent And Government Experts Say Reactor 4 SFP Is A Grave Concern: 460 Tons Of Nuclear Fuel Could Overheat, Explode and Release Massive Amounts Of Radiation (((Finishing Off Japan)))
- Prof. Dr Hiroaki Koide On Asahi TV: If Reactor 4 SFP Cracks And Leaks This Would Be THE END … For A Wide Area Including Tokyo (Video)
- Worst Case Scenario: Where To Go When Reactor No. 4 SFP Falls On The Ground?:
‘Dr. Arnie Gundersen warns they need to go further than 450km.’
- Whistleblower: ‘Reactor 4 Is Like A Inverse Pyramid, Very Unstable And Dangerous’ – TEPCO Admits It Can’t Stop Reactor 4 Water Leakage
- Collapse Of Ractor 4 Spent Fuel Pool Could Cause A Disaster Worse Than The THREE REACTOR MELTDOWNS – Structural Integrity A Major Concern Among Experts (AP)
- Fukushima Worker Suspects Explosion At Reactor 4 To Be The Cause Of 8.5 Tons Water Leakage (At 301,750,000 Bq)
- Fukushima Worker: Reactor 4 Full Of Nuclear Fuel – ‘If Another Earthquake Hits It, It’s Over’ … ‘Pacific Ocean Side Of Japan And West Side Of America Won’t Be Inhabitable Anymore’
- POSSIBLE RED ALERT: Japanese LDP Politician: Hydrogen Explosion May Have Happened At Reactor 4 On Jan. 9, 2012
– Fukushima Worker: Reactor 4 Spent Fuel Pool Completely Without Water, Boiled After New Years Earthquake
- Fukushima: ‘Reactor No. 4 Is Looking More And More Like The Leaning Tower Of Pisa Right Now’ – If It ‘Falls Over It’s Just Gonna Dump A Whole Reactor Core Right Out Onto The Ground’ (And Tokyo & Yokohama Will Be Lost!) (Video)
- Confirmed: Fukushima Reactor No. 4 Is Falling Apart, Wall Was Lost On The South Side (Video, Photos)
- TEPCO: Fukushima Reactor No. 4 ‘Air Duct’ Explosion On 4th Floor
- Reactor 4 Spent Fuel Pool Is Completely ‘EXPOSED’ – Ambulances Heard At Least 10 Times A Day At Fukushima Nuclear Plant (Video)
- Excellent Arnie Gundersen Interview: Leave Tokyo If There Is A Severe Aftershock And The Unit 4 Building Collapses, Now That The Winds Have Turned:
Arnie Gundersen: “… It could have cut Japan in half. But now the winds have turned, so they are heading to the south toward Tokyo and now my concern and my advice to friends that if there is a severe aftershock and the Unit 4 building collapses, leave. We are well beyond where any science has ever gone at that point and nuclear fuel lying on the ground and getting hot is not a condition that anyone has ever analyzed.”
Tags: Fukushima, Global News, Japan, Nuclear, Nuclear reactors, Radiation