Israel has warned it might cut all support to the Gaza Strip, including vital water and power supplies, if the Palestinian Authority pursues its path towards reunification with militant group Hamas.
– Israel threatens to cut water and power to Gaza (Telegraph, Nov. 27, 2011):
The threats were issued by Danny Ayalon, Israel’s deputy foreign minister, on Israeli Radio on Saturday in response to a recent meeting between Mahmoud Abbas, president of the Palestinian Authority, and Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal in Cairo.
Mr Ayalon claimed a deal with the extremist faction would turn the Palestinian Authority into “an authority of terrorism and this would block any hope of reaching any peace agreement with Israel”.
Israel currently provides around 60 per cent of Gaza’s electricity. The rest is either brought form Egypt or generated by Gaza’s own partially destroyed power station, run by the EU. Mekorot, Israel’s national water company, provides 5% of its water – a small but important contribution, according to Sari Bashi, who runs legal organisation GISHA supporting freedom of movement for Palestinians. Mr Bashi dismissed Mr Ayalon’s comments as “silly and irresponsible”.
“I can’t imagine Israel cutting off drinking water to civilians as a means of effecting the behaviour of militants. It would also be illegal,” she said.
“These policies of collective punishment – responding with anger as opposed to applying policy – have failed over and over again. I would expect the deputy foreign minister to think before he speaks.”
Israel officially withdrew from the Gaza Strip in 2005 but maintains full control over its borders, effectively occupying the region. Israel is compelled by international law and its own Supreme Court to safeguard the access of Gaza’s population to basic humanitarian needs, including power and water.
Israel threatened to cut Gaza’s water and power supply in 2007 when militant group Hamas came to power but issued restrictions on both fuel and electricity instead.
Since these were implemented, Hamas has raised 1 million shekels (more than £170,000) in taxes a week through fuel brought through tunnels from Egypt.
A spokesperson for Hamas dismissed Mr Ayalon’s threats as hollow. Ahmed Yusef, adviser to Hamas leader Ismail Haniya, insisted that Palestinian reunification is a domestic issue and so nothing to do with Israel.
An official within Israel’s foreign ministry claimed Mr Ayalon’s comments should be understood in the context of foreign minister Avigdor Leiberman’s suggestion that Israel lift its naval blockade on the Gaza Strip, thereby relieving its obligation to the population and enabling it to disengage from the region entirely. “Then they would not be able to kick us in the ass while claiming benefits from us”, the official said.
Mr Ayalon’s comments came shortly before the Israeli Air Force struck two targets in Khan Yunis in the Gaza Strip in response to a Kassam rocket fired into southern Israel.
This is the tenth rocket to have been fired from the Gaza Strip into Israel this month. Benny Gantz, the IDF chief of staff, warned the Knesset last week that ongoing fire from Gaza would demand a large-scale military operation, which he admitted would be “painful”.
Israeli commentators predict such an offensive may take place before the current military leadership in Cairo is ousted and a less sympathetic government led by the Muslim Brotherhood is in power.
More on Israel:
– Benjamin Netanyahu ‘Turning Israel Into A Dictatorship’ (Telegraph)
– Ex-Soldier Jailed For Leaking Israeli ASSASSINATION Policy (Independent)
– Freedom Watch: ‘Israelis, Saudis’ Behind Iran Terror Plot (FOX News – Video)
– Israel Admits Effort To Build Up Military Threat Against Iran (Activist Post)
– Israel Breaks So-Called Ceasefire In Gaza After ONE Day (Activist Post)
– Israel Prepares For War With Egypt In Sinai Desert (Press TV)
– Fascism: Israeli Parliament Passed A Law Banning Boycotts Against The State And Its Settlements (Christian Science Monitor)
– Israeli Undercover Agents Boast Of Killing Palestinians on TV (Gilad Atzmon)
– Former Head of Mossad Meir Dagan: Israel Government ‘Reckless And Irresponsible’ – ‘I Decided To Speak Because When I Was In Office, Diskin, Ashkenazi And I Could Block Any Dangerous Adventure. NOW I AM AFRAID THAT THERE IS NO ONE TO STOP BIBI AND BARAK’ (Guardian)
– The (Jewish American) Boy Who Tried To Stand Up To Israel (Independent)
– Former Israeli Special Forces Soldier Reveals Assassination Squads (Breaking The Silence):
Breaking the Silence is an organization of veteran combatants who have served in the Israeli military since the start of the Second Intifada and have taken it upon themselves to expose the Israeli public to the reality of everyday life in the Occupied Territories.
– Watch How IDF Soldiers Treat Women!!! (Video) (YouTube)
– (CNN Video) Netanyahu Lectures Obama On Live TV At The White House:’It’s not going to happen. Everybody knows it’s not going to happen, and I think it’s time to tell the Palestinians forthrightly it’s not going to happen.”
And Helen Thomas is spot on:
– Traitor Joe Biden on Shalom TV: ‘I am a ZIONIST’
– Former Assistant Secretary of the Treasury Paul Craig Roberts: ‘AIPAC Owns The US Puppet Government’
– A Hebrew Israeli radio station, Kol Yisrael, on October 3rd 2001 reported that during an argument in an Israeli cabinet meeting, Shimon Peres warned Prime Minister Ariel Sharon that unless he would heed American requests for a cease fire with the Palestinians, he could cause America to turn against Israel. In a fit of anger, Sharon responded to Peres:
“Every time we do something you tell me America will do this and will do that . . . I want to tell you something very clear: Don’t worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it.”
– U.S. Senator William Fulbright said on CBS’s Face the Nation, that, “Israel controls the U.S. Senate.”
– Mossad Agent ‘Brought Down Egypt’s Internet’ (Telegraph)
– Gilad Atzmon: Jews, Judaism and Jewishness (Gilad Atzmon)
– Israel: Work Begins on Egypt Barrier (Reuters)
– Gaza War Lies Vs. Facts (YouTube)
– Influential Rabbi Ovadia Yosef: Non-Jews Are Donkeys, Created To Serve Jews (Jerusalem Post)
– Israel Paves Way For Remote Control Killing (The National)
– Exposed: The Truth About Israel’s Land Grab In The West Bank (The Independent)
– President Abdullah Gul: Turkey will ‘never forgive’ Israel (Al Jazeera)
– Israeli soldiers murder at least 10 civilians on boat carrying aid to Gaza (Los Angeles Times)
– Gaza Aid Flotilla Delayed After Mystery Faults Hit Two Boats (Independent)
Dr. Alan Sabrosky, former director of studies at the US Army War College says that the military brass now know that Israel “and those traitors within our nation” committed the 911 attack.
……”I have had long conversations over the last two weeks with contacts at the Army War College and the headquarters, Marine Corps and I’ve made it absolutely clear in both cases that it is 100% certain that 9/11 was a Mossad operation.” Period.
– Israel Threatening To Use Nuclear Weapons On Iran! (FOX NEWS)
– Palestinian children are stoned while walking to school (Christian Peacemaker Teams)
– U.S. shipped 989 munitions containers to Israel week before Gaza invasion (Australien Herald)
– Israel’s war crimes in Gaza (Independent)
– Did Israeli soldiers kill unarmed civilians? (Toronto Star):
‘The most moral army in the world’ killed civilians without cause
– Israeli soldiers report abuses in Gaza (Los Angeles Times)
– Gaza building apparently hit by phosphorus: UN (Vancouver Sun)
– Israel used phosphorus in heavily populated areas, doctors charge (Kansas City Star)
– Israel shelled UK war graves in Gaza (Telegraph)