Who could have known?:
- More Seeds For Doomsday Seed Vault
- Investors Behind Doomsday Seed Vault May Provide Clues to Its Purpose (Part 2):
The group of investors includes The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, The Rockefeller Foundation, Monsanto Corporation, Syngenta Foundation, and the Government of Norway.
- African seed collection first to arrive in Norway on route to Arctic seed vault
- Scientists to capture DNA of trees worldwide for database
- Hungary to start the world’s first wild seed bank
- Experts prepare for lunar ‘Doomsday Ark’
- ‘Doomsday’ seed vault opens in Arctic
- Gene alarm on GM crops (Telegraph India, June 3 , 2011 ):
New Delhi, June 2: Indian scientists have discovered that the genetic modification of plants with a gene already used in crops worldwide may severely damage the plants, a surprising finding that may stir a debate on current crop biotechnology science.
The scientists at the University of Delhi have shown that inserting a bacterial gene that makes a protein named Cry1Ac into genomes of plants appears to cause developmental defects, growth retardation and sterility in the plants.
Several experimental and commercial genetically-modified plants, including GM cotton cultivated in India and other countries, make the Cry1Ac protein which is toxic to some insects. The insects die when they try to eat parts of these GM crops.
The Delhi scientists have now shown through laboratory experiments that modifying cotton or tobacco with Cry1Ac has a detrimental effect on these plants. Their results have appeared in the Journal of Bioscience published this month by the Indian Academy of Sciences.
“This is a completely unexpected finding,” said Durgadas Kasbekar, a senior biologist with the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology in Hyderabad who was not associated with the study, but is the editor of the Journal of Bioscience.
“Until this point, if you asked someone in the plant biotechnology community what the Cry1Ac toxin does in plants, they would say it kills insects. No one has yet demonstrated harm to plants as this study has done,” Kasbekar told The Telegraph.
The Delhi researchers say such observations may have been overlooked in the past as most previous studies were aimed at finding plant varieties that can be genetically altered just enough so that they are suitable for cultivation.
Independent studies have earlier shown that levels of Cry1Ac in some commercial GM cotton decline progressively over the life-cycle of the plant and are produced at such low levels in vulnerable parts of the crop that insects can continue to consume them.
“We find a very strong correlation between the levels of Cry1Ac and abnormalities —higher the levels of Cry1Ac in the plants, the greater the damage,” said Pradeep Burma, a plant geneticist at the University of Delhi South Campus, who led the study.
Burma said these findings do not in any way suggest that GM crops are either unsafe for consumption or can cause damage to other crops or the environment. “But they reveal a previously unrecognised effect on GM plant development,” Burma said.
“It’s a hurdle we need to overcome to improve insect-resistance in crops,” he said.
The researchers have themselves shown that if the plants are modified in such a way that the Cry1Ac is confined in their chloroplasts – the site of photosynthesis in plant cells — they do not show any developmental defects.
“This could be a future strategy to protect plants from damage,” Burma said.
But scientists caution that the study describes observations and the mechanism of how the toxin harms host plants remains unclear. “We need to understand why the plants are being affected — and use that knowledge to make better plants,” Kasbekar said.
The Indian government had approved commercial cultivation of GM cotton containing Cry1Ac in 2002, and research groups have been trying to equip other plants with this protein. But a proposal to introduce GM brinjal with Cry1Ac has been stalled by the environment ministry amid concerns among sections of scientists and environmental activists about safety and environmental impact of edible GM crops.
More information on GMOs:
GM food alters your DNA, changes your brain waves, destroys your immune system, your organs and makes you infertile.
- A Scary Side Effect of Eating GMO Foods
- Study: GMO Bt Toxin Found In Human Blood (= A Threat To Human Health)
- Genetically Modified Cows Produce ‘Human’ Milk
– Farmers and Seed Producers Launch Preemptive Strike against Monsanto
- Next Stop Monsanto Zone: Agribusiness Fascism You Can Take A Bath In!
- MSNBC Poll: 96% Want GMOs Labeled
- Hidden Dangers: Genetically Engineered Foods
– USDA National Organics Program: Testing for GMOs NOT Required!!!
- GMO Nightmare: There Is No Escape From GM Foods
- GMOs: No Seeds, No Independent Research!
- Scientists Warn Of Dangerous New Pathogen From Roundup Ready Treated Monsanto GM Crops Causing Infertility And Spontaneous Abortions
- USDA Deregulates GMO Corn Engineered to Produce Fuel, Not Food, Unleashing Another Mass Contamination of Crops
- Despite a Court Ban USDA Allows Commercial Planting of Monsanto’s Genetically Modified Sugar Beets
- US: Organic Consumers Association Funded by Big Pharma and Rockefeller! Food Freedom Betrayal!
- Change: USDA Recommends ‘Coexistence’ with Monsanto
- Monsanto’s Roundup Triggers Over 40 Plant Diseases and Endangers Human and Animal Health
- Max Keiser: Monsanto And The Seeds Of Evil
- WikiLeaks Cables: US Targets EU Over GM Crops
- Australia: Monsanto GM Strain Blows Organic Status Away
- US Conspired to Retaliate Against European Nations If They Resisted GMOs: Wikileaks Cable Reveals
- USDA GMO Policy
- US House of Representatives Passes Unconstitutional S.510/HR 2751, The Food Safety Modernization Act (TREASON!!!)
- The GMO Orange Scandal
- And Now: GMO Oranges As Solution To Insect-Borne Bacterial Disease
- Judge Orders Destruction Of Monsanto GMO sugarbeets
- Monsanto, Syngenta, BASF And Others Working On GM Wheat
- Scientists working to create genetically modified chocolate – to make you healthy (Sure!)
- MIT Scientists Develop GMO Plant That Produces Pharmaceutical Drugs
- USDA Plans To Allow GM Sugar Beet Planting During Lawsuit
- 10 Freakiest Things About Frankenfish
- GM Flax Contamination Detected in 35 Countries
- Study: GM Corn ‘Has Polluted Rivers Across The United States’
- FDA Refuses to Require Labeling of GM Salmon
- GM Salmon Nears US Approval
- RED ALERT: Dr. Rima E. Laibow On The Food Safety Bill (S 510): This Bill Eliminates All Local Farming, Organic Farmers and Garden Farmers
- US: GM Salmon May Go On Sale
- GMO Sugar Beets – Monsanto Wins Again
- US: Rice Farmer Awarded $500,000 In GM Rice Trial
- Scientist Leading Taxpayer-Funded GM Crop Test Defends Links To US Biotech Giant Monsanto
- US Supreme Court Lifts Ban On Monsanto’s GM Alfalfa
- UK Academics Quit Rigged FSA Frankenfood Propaganda
- Study: Monsanto’s Roundup Kills Human Cells (Flashback)
- GMO Alert: US Attempting Global Censorship of GMO Food Labeling
- California Files Legal Brief Opposing Monsanto in US Supreme Court
- Russian Scientists Prove Genetically Modified Foods are Harmful, Suggest Ban on GM Foods
- Bayer AG admits GMO contamination out of control
- Monsanto: GM-Corn Harvest of 82,000 Hectares in South Africa Fails (!)
- Multiple Ways Monsanto is Putting Normal Seeds Out of Reach
- Monsanto’s Genetically Modified Seed Patents May Trump Antitrust Claims
- Former Managing Director of Monsanto India: Monsanto ‘Faked’ Data for Approvals
- Monsanto GM Corn Causing Organ Failure In Rats: Study (Everything You Need To Know)
- Scientist: Monsanto’s herbicide could cause brain, intestinal and heart defects in foetuses
- Hawaii: GMO taro ban proposal goes to full council
- Monsanto to Charge as Much as 42 % More for New Seeds!
- US Association of Physicians calls for Moratorium on GMO Foods
- Monsanto sues Germany over GM corn ban
- Germany bans Monsanto’s GM maize
- Greenpeace: No need for condoms – GE corn can do the job
- Austrian Government Study Confirms Genetically Modified (GM) Crops Threaten Human Fertility and Health Safety
- BIODIVERSITY: Privatisation Making Seeds Themselves Infertile
- At stake is no less than control of the world’s food supply.
- Exposed: the great GM crops myth:
“Genetic modification actually cuts the productivity of crops, an authoritative new study shows, undermining repeated claims that a switch to the controversial technology is needed to solve the growing world food crisis.”
Highly recommended videos:
- Life running out of control – Genetically Modified Organisms (!)
- The World According to Monsanto – A documentary that Americans won’t ever see. (!)
Obama and Monsanto:
- Obama Gives Key Agriculture Post to Lobbyist of CropLife America Whose Members Include Monsanto, Syngenta, DuPont and Dow Chemical
- Obama Gives ‘Pesticide Lobbyist’ Post as Chief Agricultural Negotiator
- Monsanto lobbyists to be placed in charge of food safety by Obama
- Obama appoints Monsanto shill Tom Vilsack to USDA chief
On CODEX and the agenda of the elite:
- Food Safety Bill Invokes Codex Harmonization And Grants FDA Authority To Police Food Safety Of Foreign Nations
- Dr. Rima E. Laibow: The Globalist Depopulation Agenda
- Dr. Rima E. Laibow on Codex Alimentarius and Food Nazification (!)
- Dr. Rima E. Laibow on the Contamination of the Food Supply & Deadly Antibiotics
- Codex Alimentarius: Population Control Under the Guise of Consumer Protection
- One Nation Under Siege – Full Theatrical Release
- Nutricide – Criminalizing Natural Health, Vitamins, and Herbs
Tags: Contamination, Environment, Genetically Modified Organisms, Global News, GMO, Health, Science, Scientists, steri, toxic, toxicity