Brazilian Billionaire Eike Batista is reaffirming his $1 billion bid for Ventana Gold. This values Ventana’s gold in the ground at a staggering $434 an ounce or 8.3 times Ventana’s assets. This makes Batista’s bid the most expensive all-cash bid in the past ten years.
Gold mining acquisitions are becoming more expensive as we move through this bull market. There were 91 deals last year, and average takeover premiums rose to 50%, the highest level in more than 13 years.
There is absolutely no question that senior and mid-cap producers are going to have to purchase junior explorers in order to replace depleting reserves. Although they will deny it, pressure is definitely mounting for majors to do something to replace reserves.
This is typical of secular bull markets to see this type of acquisition fever sweep a sector and generally this takeover phase lasts for many years. While some may look at Batista’s bid as expensive, he is incredibly shrewd and I am sure he is basing this acquisition on the fact that he knows gold will trade much higher in the long run.
Savvy investors who are able to position themselves in the right juniors will experience extraordinary returns as we grind through this acquisition phase prior to the final mania.
Most high quality gold companies are undervalued at this point in the bull market, but quality juniors are particularly undervalued. Just remember that even though the junior sector has plenty of properties that will become gold mines, it also is full of land mines, so buyer beware.
February 14, 2011
Source: King World News
More on gold and silver:
– Americans Will Flock Into $5,000 Gold and $500 Silver
– Chinese Have A New Method To Buy Massive Amounts Of Physical Gold, Bypassing Comex And Any Form Of Delivery Limits And Problems
– Gold This Decade!!!
– ‘GoldNomics’: Cash or Gold Bullion?
– George Soros’ and John Paulson’s Biggest Holding Is GOLD
– China, Russia, Iran are Dumping the Dollar, Buy Gold And Silver
– Gold and Gold Mining Shares As a Percentage of Global Assets or ‘The Once In a Lifetime Ride’
– COMEX Silver Inventories Drop To 4 Year Low. COMEX Default Or Hunt Brothers Redux?
– This Past Week in Gold and Silver
– ‘US Silver Term Structure Inverts As Supply Tightens’ – Reuters Article On Silver Backwardation
– JP Morgan Silver Manipulation Explained (Part 1-4)
– Silver Bullion Backwardation Suggests Supply Stress
– Silver Lease Rates Rise Sharply – Bond Yields in Portugal Rise to Record
– Perth Mint Has Run Out of 100 Ounce SILVER Bars for at least 6 Weeks!!!
– Silver Breaks Its Golden Shackles And More Signs of Silver Shortages
– $6,000 Silver and the ONE BANK
– Canada’s Biggest Bullion Bank Scotia Mocatta: ALL SILVER BARS SOLD OUT
– US Mint Sells Absolute Record 6.4 Million Ounces Of Silver In January, 50% More Than Previous Highest Month
– Eric Sprott: Expect $50 Silver, Gold Possibly $2,150 by Spring
– US Mint Reports Unprecedented Buying Spree Of Physical Silver
– BullionVault.com Runs Out Of Silver In Germany
– Silver: Shortage This Decade, Will Be Worth More Than Gold (!!!)
– Silver Derivatives – China and JP Morgan
– Max Keiser: Want JP Morgan to Crash? Buy Silver!
– Max Keiser: Crash JP Morgan – Buy Silver!
– JPMorgan Silver Manipulation Explained (Must-See!)
And don’t forget to do this (!!!)…
– James G. Rickards of Omnis Inc.: Get Your Gold Out Of The Banking System
… or …
– US DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY HAS TOLD BANKS – IN WRITING – IT MAY INSPECT SAFE DEPOSIT BOXES WITHOUT WARRANT AND SIEZE ANY GOLD, SILVER, GUNS OR OTHER VALUABLES IT FINDS INSIDE THOSE BOXES!
– Alert: Get Out of Your Dollar Assets Now!!!
– The Ultimate Cost of 0% Money
– These Central Banks Are Printing Money – Prepare Yourself
– Quantitative Easing Explained