In the latest of a string of mass animal deaths, 10,000 cows and buffalo have died in Vietnam.
Vietnam’s Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development confirmed the news this week that more than 10,000 cows and buffalos died nationwide due to harsh weather conditions.
Cattle have been dying throughout Vietnam, which has had a particularly intense winter. The northern mountainous province of Cao Bang was hardest hit with 2,260 dead cattle, per Thanh Nien News. Some have said the number of total dead cattle may be as high as 13,000.
Mass animal deaths have been in the news quite a bit lately. Hundreds of birds were found dead in South Dakota early this week, and before that birds were found dead in Italy and birds fell from the sky in Arkansas, among other incidents.
Some of the mass die-offs have been explained – for instance, indigestion is thought to be the cause in Italy and the U.S. government has admitted involvement in the South Dakota case. But others remain up for debate.
First Posted: 01/21/11 12:39 PM Updated: 01/21/11 12:39 PM
Source: The Huffington Post
– New Zealand: Hundreds Of Little Penguins Die And Other Seabirds Wash Up Dead On Beaches
– Beijing Reports Mass Bird Deaths
– Colorado: Mysterious Bird Deaths Investigated Near Dacono
– US, Jacksonville Coast: Hundreds of Pelicans Injured or Killed
– Portugal: Thousands of Dead Octopuses Wash Up On Beach
– More Than 200 Dead Starlings Found in Downtown Yankton
– Canada: Hundreds of Dead Seals Have Been Washing Ashore In Labrador
– And Now: 200 Dead Cows Found in Wisconsin Field
– And Now: Romanian Scientists Solve Bird Death Mystery: They ‘Drank’ Themselves To Death
– Recent Worldwide Mass Animal Deaths (Google Maps)
– Thousands of Fish Wash Up in Chicago and Hundreds of Birds Perish in California
– US: Hundreds of Dead Blackbirds Found Along I-65 In Athens
– 1,000 Turtle Doves Falling Dead in Italy
– More Animal Death Mysteries Around The World
– Quebec bird deaths stump wildlife officials
– US: Mysterious Death of 2 Million Fish in Chesapeake Bay
– Hundreds of Dead Snapper Fish Wash Up On New Zealand Beach
– Thousands of Birds Fall Dead Out of the Sky in SOUTH AMERICA
– US: Hundreds More Blackbirds Fall From The Sky – This Time in Louisiana
– US: Up to 5,000 Blackbirds Fall Dead Out of The Sky, Autopsies Find No Poison
– US: Up to 100,000 Fish Found Dead Along Arkansas River
– UK: Sudden Oak Death Now Threatens More Trees, Already 3,000 Hectares of Larch Forest Infected
– Vietnam: 4400 Buffalos And Cows Die From Cold Spell
– Virus Kills Millions of Crickets
– Mysterious Infection Is Killing BC Salmon
– US: Die-Off of Aspen Trees Presents Human Health Risk
– Tens of Thousands of Bald Eagles Disappear From The West Coast
– Bumblebees in Freefall, Study Shows 96 Percent Decline