This year, your bread dishes are probably not genetically modified — consumer and food industry opposition has so far prevented any GM wheat from making it to your table. So your biscuits, thickened gravy and turkey stuffing are made with flour from traditionally bred wheat.
But several seed companies, including Monsanto, Syngenta, BASF and others, are working on transgenic wheat. U.S. Wheat Associates, an industry group, said in early 2010 that GM wheat is still several years away, but efforts are ongoing to improve its acceptance among international consumers.
Monsanto Co., the world’s largest producer of genetically modified seed, backed off commercialization of “Roundup Ready” wheat several years ago, amid concerns it could hurt the U.S. wheat market. But earlier this month, the firm said it’s the “right time” to pursue development of drought-resistant and high-yielding wheat.
The Swiss firm Syngenta said this summer it was working with the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) to focus on developing stronger wheat. The firm has been exploring genetically modified traits in wheat for several years, though it has not yet been commercialized.
Worldwide, wheat is the most-traded food crop and it is the single largest food import in developing countries. In some ways, it was the first widely modified crop. Norman Borlaug won the 1970 Nobel Peace Prize for his work on increasing wheat yields in Mexico and developing nations.
Posted 11.23.10 at 5:40 pm
Source: Popsci (Gallery: Happy Genetically Modified Thanksgiving)
GM food alters your DNA, changes your brain waves, destroys your immune system, your organs and makes you infertile.
- Scientists working to create genetically modified chocolate – to make you healthy (Sure!)
- MIT Scientists Develop GMO Plant That Produces Pharmaceutical Drugs
- USDA Plans To Allow GM Sugar Beet Planting During Lawsuit
- 10 Freakiest Things About Frankenfish
- GM Flax Contamination Detected in 35 Countries
- Study: GM Corn ‘Has Polluted Rivers Across The United States’
- FDA Refuses to Require Labeling of GM Salmon
- GM Salmon Nears US Approval
- RED ALERT: Dr. Rima E. Laibow On The Food Safety Bill (S 510): This Bill Eliminates All Local Farming, Organic Farmers and Garden Farmers
- US: GM Salmon May Go On Sale
- GMO Sugar Beets – Monsanto Wins Again
- US: Rice Farmer Awarded $500,000 In GM Rice Trial
- Scientist Leading Taxpayer-Funded GM Crop Test Defends Links To US Biotech Giant Monsanto
- US Supreme Court Lifts Ban On Monsanto’s GM Alfalfa
- UK Academics Quit Rigged FSA Frankenfood Propaganda
- Study: Monsanto’s Roundup Kills Human Cells (Flashback)
- GMO Alert: US Attempting Global Censorship of GMO Food Labeling
- California Files Legal Brief Opposing Monsanto in US Supreme Court
- Russian Scientists Prove Genetically Modified Foods are Harmful, Suggest Ban on GM Foods
- Bayer AG admits GMO contamination out of control
- Monsanto: GM-Corn Harvest of 82,000 Hectares in South Africa Fails (!)
- Multiple Ways Monsanto is Putting Normal Seeds Out of Reach
- Monsanto’s Genetically Modified Seed Patents May Trump Antitrust Claims
- Former Managing Director of Monsanto India: Monsanto ‘Faked’ Data for Approvals
- Monsanto GM Corn Causing Organ Failure In Rats: Study (Everything You Need To Know)
- Scientist: Monsanto’s herbicide could cause brain, intestinal and heart defects in foetuses
- Hawaii: GMO taro ban proposal goes to full council
- Monsanto to Charge as Much as 42 % More for New Seeds!
- US Association of Physicians calls for Moratorium on GMO Foods
- Monsanto sues Germany over GM corn ban
- Germany bans Monsanto’s GM maize
- Greenpeace: No need for condoms – GE corn can do the job
- Austrian Government Study Confirms Genetically Modified (GM) Crops Threaten Human Fertility and Health Safety
- BIODIVERSITY: Privatisation Making Seeds Themselves Infertile
- At stake is no less than control of the world’s food supply.
- Exposed: the great GM crops myth:
“Genetic modification actually cuts the productivity of crops, an authoritative new study shows, undermining repeated claims that a switch to the controversial technology is needed to solve the growing world food crisis.”
Highly recommended videos:
- Life running out of control – Genetically Modified Organisms (!)
- The World According to Monsanto – A documentary that Americans won’t ever see. (!)
Obama and Monsanto:
- Obama Gives Key Agriculture Post to Lobbyist of CropLife America Whose Members Include Monsanto, Syngenta, DuPont and Dow Chemical
- Obama Gives ‘Pesticide Lobbyist’ Post as Chief Agricultural Negotiator
- Monsanto lobbyists to be placed in charge of food safety by Obama
On CODEX and the agenda of the elite:
- Dr. Rima E. Laibow: The Globalist Depopulation Agenda
- Dr. Rima E. Laibow on Codex Alimentarius and Food Nazification (!)
- Dr. Rima E. Laibow on the Contamination of the Food Supply & Deadly Antibiotics
- Codex Alimentarius: Population Control Under the Guise of Consumer Protection
- One Nation Under Siege – Full Theatrical Release
- Nutricide – Criminalizing Natural Health, Vitamins, and Herbs
Tags: BASF, Genetically Modified Organisms, Global News, GMO, Monsanto, Science, Syngenta, Technology, wheat