Here is what the catholic church did to child abusers and rapists:
The Vatican has rejected the resignations of two Catholic bishops in Ireland who offered to quit in the wake of a child sex abuse scandal, the Archbishop of Dublin said.
Archbishop Diarmuid Martin said in a letter to priests in his archdiocese that Auxiliary Bishops Eamonn Walsh and Raymond Field will remain in their jobs but will be given “revised responsibilities”.
The bishops presented their resignations to Pope Benedict XVI in December following a judge’s damning report on the Dublin archdiocese that found the Catholic Church concealed the abuse of children by priests for three decades.
In the letter he said: “Following the presentation of their resignations to Pope Benedict, it has been decided that Bishop Eamonn Walsh and Bishop Raymond Field will remain as auxiliary bishops.”
The archbishop said they were “to be assigned revised responsibilities within the diocese.”
“This means that they will be available to administer confirmation in any part of the diocese in the coming year,” Martin added.
The report by judge Yvonne Murphy that sparked the bishops’ offers to resign disclosed that archbishops had effectively turned a blind eye to cases of abuse in institutions run by the Catholic Church.
One priest admitted to sexually abusing more than 100 children, while another acknowledged that he had abused on a fortnightly basis over 25 years.
Bishops Walsh and Field initially rebuffed criticism of their alleged role in hushing up the abuse but eventually offered to quit after failing to receive public backing from Martin.
In March, the pope published an unprecedented pastoral letter to Irish Catholics that condemned those who committed the abuse, but refused to acknowledge any culpability on the Vatican’s part.
Published: 12:34AM BST 12 Aug 2010
Source: The Telegraph
Related information – “By Their Fruits Ye Shall Know Them!”:
- Database of Catholic Priests Publicly Accused of Sexual Abuse in the US (BishopAccountability.org)
- Catholic Church is ‘like the Mafia’ (The Telegraph)
- Catholic Priest Raped Teenage Boy At Gunpoint (My San Antonio)
- Austrian Catholic Church Abuse Hot Lines Log 566 Reports This Year (Austrian Independent)
- Australian Bishop says ‘vast amount’ of sexual abuse cases yet to emerge (Sydney Morning Herald)
- Deaf Boys Tried to Tell of Priest’s Abuse FOR YEARS (New York Times)
- Christopher Hitchens Slams Vatican, Pope Over Sex Abuse Scandal (Huffington Post)
- The Pope Is Not Above the Law (Slate)
- Sex Abuse Victims to Sue Vatican (Times)
- Vatican knew of abuse in Ontario: Victim (Toronto Star)
- A church sex scandal where the truth is crucified (Toronto Star)
- Catholic Church quietly expelling and punishing children, homeless (Irish Central)
Former Milwaukee Archbishop Rembert Weakland routinely shredded copies of weekly reports about sexual abuse by priests, according to formerly sealed testimony turned over to Milwaukee County’s district attorney on Thursday.
- Catholic Church Child Abuse: Nuns Now Also Accused (Radio Netherlands Worldwide)
- Church: Pope Had Role in Moving Molesting Priest (Bloomberg)
- Pope will struggle to survive abuse scandal (Irish Independent)
- Benedict’s involvement ’shows extent of cover-ups’ (Irish Independent)
- Sinead O’Connor: I’d help Jesus to burn down the Vatican (Irish Independent)