US Posts $176.36 Billion Deficit for October
“America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.” – Barack Obama in 2006
WASHINGTON — The federal government kicked off fiscal year 2010 by posting its widest-ever October budget deficit, the Treasury Department said Thursday.
The $176.36 billion gap is more than $20 billion wider than the shortfall recorded in October 2008, driven up by lower tax receipts, stimulus-related revenue reductions and consistently high government outlays.
Treasury’s monthly budget statement shows receipts were $135.33 billion in October, down 18% from a year earlier and at the lowest level since October 2002. Meanwhile, outlays were $311.69 billion, down 3% from a year earlier and at their second-highest monthly level on record.
The October deficit figure is wider than the Congressional Budget Office’s estimate for a $175 billion deficit in the month and wider than the $165.9 billion expected by analysts surveyed by Dow Jones Newswires.
The Treasury on Thursday also revised September’s deficit to a slightly narrower $46.57 billion, from a previously reported $46.61 billion. Even with the revision, the U.S. in fiscal year 2009 posted a record total budget deficit of near $1.4 trillion — three times its previous record.
At the equivalent of 9.9% of gross domestic product, the figure is the widest U.S. deficit as a share of GDP since 1945.
The staggering number has had U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner pledging to rein in the deficit as the nation’s economy recovers.
The U.S. at this point is expected to post a fiscal year 2010 deficit similar to that posted in fiscal year 2009.
The government paid $17.93 billion in net interest last month on the federal debt. Net interest on the federal debt excludes interest paid on nonmarketable government securities held by federal trust funds, such as Social Security.
Write to Meena Thiruvengadam at email@example.com and Darrell Hughes at Darrell.Hughes@dowjones.com
By MEENA THIRUVENGADAM and DARRELL HUGHES
NOVEMBER 13, 2009
Source: The Wall Street Journal
“When a country embarks on deficit financing and inflationism you wipe out the middle class and wealth is transferred from the middle class and the poor to the rich.”
– Ron Paul
Here is what Obama is doing in his own words:
“Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren,” Obama said in a 2006 floor speech that preceded a Senate vote to extend the debt limit. “America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.”
– Barack Obama
Obama has tripled Bush’s budget deficit. Now you know who Obama is working for!
This elite puppet President is running America into the ground.
Bush was extremely horrible. Obama is even worse.
– Congressman Ron Paul on the Copenhagen Treaty and the Cyber Security Act: ‘They are doing everything in the world to control the internet.’
– Rep. Eric Massa on Afghanistan: 2950 Days, 300 Billion Dollars, 911 Dead Americans – End the War, Bring back the Troops
– America is performing its familiar role of propping up a dictator: Robert Fisk
– New Record: Americans on Food Stamps Tops 36 million – Study: Half of US Kids Will Receive Food Stamps
– White House Pharma Deal to Net Industry $137 Billion
– How the Obama administration inflates the number of jobs created
– President Obama: Penalties have to be high enough to force people to buy health insurance
– China’s Premier Warns Obama to Get US Deficit to an ‘Appropriate Size’
– Pelosi Healthcare Bill: Buy Insurance or Go To Jail
– Landmark health care bill passes House on close vote
– President Obama creates 640,329 jobs at a cost of $323,739.83 per job
– US: Up to 95.2% Income Tax Rate Needed to Close Deficit in 2010
– Prof. William Black: Timothy Geithner ‘Burned Billions,’ Shafted Taxpayers on CIT Loan
– Citigroup and JPMorgan are hoarding cash as if another crisis were on the way
– CIT’s Bankruptcy Erases $2.33 Billion of Taxpayer Money, May Help Bondholders And Gives Goldman Sachs $285 Million ‘Windfall’
– Ron Paul: Be Prepared for the Worst
– Billionaire investor Wilbur Ross: US in The Beginning of a ‘Huge Crash in Commercial Real Estate’
– We Are Facing a Total Breakdown of Financial Markets
– CIT Bankruptcy Filing Expected in Days; $2.3 Billion Taxpayer Money to Be Wiped Out; Goldman Sachs Receives $285 Million In Termination Fees
– $160,000 Per Stimulus Job!?! The White House Calls That ‘Calculator Abuse’
– More Than 40% of President Obama’s Top-Level Fundraisers Secured Posts in His Administration
– Lord Christopher Monckton: Is President Obama Poised to Surrender the Constitution and US Sovereignty to World Government?
– New York Fed’s Secret Choice to Pay for AIG Swaps Squandered Billions of Taxpayer Money
– US bank chargeoff rate exceeds Great Depression: Moody’s
– Economist Andrew Smithers: S&P 500 Overvalued by 40%, Set to Fall
– China Containerised Freight Index drops for first time since June – Global economy could be in for a double dip recession
– Citigroup Is In Serious Trouble
– Lazard Asset Management Fund Dumps The US Dollar
– US Bank Failures Stack Up: Now 106 For 2009
– Losing their lifeline: 7,000 people a day run out of unemployment benefits
– Fall Of The Republic – The Presidency Of Barack H. Obama (The Full Movie HQ)
– Wall Street insider Nomi Prins: ‘Recovery is not even on horizon’
– Vice President Joe Biden Declares The US Is in A Depression
– Niall Ferguson (’Ascent of Money’): The US Dollar Is Dying a Slow Death; There Has Been No Stock Market Rally
– Gerald Celente: ‘Their is no recovery; It’s a coverup. We are already in the Greatest Depression.’
– How The Federal Reserve Banksters Bailed Out The World
– Death of ‘Soul of Capitalism:’ 20 reasons America has lost its soul and collapse is inevitable
– Latin American leaders agree on new currency, sanction Honduras
– Russia ready to abandon US dollar in oil, gas trade with China
– Iran to drop US dollar from forex reserves
– Sumitomo Chief Strategist: US Dollar to Hit 50 Yen, Cease as Reserve Currency
– DOW at 10,000!!! Oh Wait, Make That 7,537
– Marc Faber on Bloomberg: Dollar decline and inflation – Oct. 14, 2009
– David Tice: Gold Heading to $3000 Unless America Hits the ‘Reset’ Button
– Jim Rogers: ‘I Am Quite Sure Gold Will Go Over $2000′, Dollar Will Lose Reserve Status
– US Dollar Reaches Breaking Point as Central Banks Shift Reserves
– Financial Times: US mantra of strong dollar loses its value
– The Federal Reserve buys Fannie Mae bonds; Timothy Geithner is a liar
– Gerald Celente on the demise of the US dollar: ‘The US is failing on it’s most basic level’
– Glenn Beck: What If Oil Will No Longer Be Traded In US Dollars? Deficit Spending, Printing, Monetizing Debt, The Dollars Demise
– Max Keiser on RT: ‘Dollar to be buried way before 2018′
– The demise of the US dollar
– Iran Replaces The US Dollar With The Euro
– US: Hyperinflation Nation
– China advertises silver and gold investment on TV; Cheap dollars are sowing the seeds of the next world crisis