– Australian PM calls for new economic order (AFP):
SYDNEY (AFP) — Australia’s prime minister has called for a “new world order” of government intervention and regulation, blaming capitalist greed for the global economic crisis.
– UN: Babies caught in Sri Lankan crossfire (CNN):
A “handful” of United Nations staff are working around the clock to save a growing number of children caught in heavy crossfire between government forces and Tamil rebels in Sri Lanka’s volatile northeast, a U.N. spokesman said Saturday.
– Bush shoe sculpture ‘taken down’ (BBC News):
A sculpture of a shoe erected in Iraq to honour a journalist who threw his footwear at George W Bush has been dismantled, reports say.
– DEA quits Bolivia on Morales’ order (Market Watch)
– Canada’s Economy Shrinks the Most Since 2003 Blackout (Bloomberg)
– Thousands protest across Russia (BBC News):
Thousands of people have held rallies across Russia protesting against what they describe as the government’s mismanagement of the economy. The biggest demonstration took place in the eastern city of Vladivostok, where protesters demanded the resignation of Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.
– Homelessness surges as funding falters (msnbc)
– Gannett To Take Quarterly Charge Of Up To $5.2 Billion (CNNMoney):
CHICAGO (Dow Jones) — Gannett Co., the largest U.S. newspaper publisher, said Friday that it will take non-cash charges of as much as $5.2 billion against financial results for the fourth quarter, as a number of its assets have diminished in value because of the worldwide financial crisis.
– It’s time to rattle and bang in protest at this outrage (Guardian):
Delving into the truth of corporate taxes has taken our Guardian team months. What they have found is truly shocking
– S&P may cut Gannett into junk territory (Reuters)
– Are we in a Depression? (321gold)
(A rhetorical question)
– Steep Slide in US Economy as Unsold Goods Pile Up (New York Times)
– Catholic US Lawmakers Call for Direct Repudiation (Washington Post)
– US pours cold water over hopes of Iran deal (Times Online)
– Groups review Gaza conflict for war crimes (Globe and Mail)
– Deficits For The Shrinking World Economy (The International Forecaster)
– Humans ‘will be implanted with microchips’ (Ninemsn)