By Bob Moriarty:
I’m pleased to see Barack Obama hit the ground running after his election on the 4th. The US needs change.
I’d like to see him announce the death of Osama bin Laden as one of his first official duties. Bin Laden often better known as bin Forgotten died in December of 2001. There is nothing I am saying that is news to anyone who has actually spent any time thinking.
Osama bin Laden had serous kidney disease that required him to have dialysis treatment twice a week. There aren’t any dialysis machines floating around in the border region of Afghanistan and Pakistan. A few months back a reporter finally asked the question that should have been asked years ago at a White House press conference.
How is it that a guy who was seriously ill seven years ago is getting treatment for end-stage renal disease in some cave in Afghanistan? The woman conducting the press conference panicked at the thought of answering that most basic question and immediately canceled the rest of the briefing.
The United States does not need a boogieman living in a cave in Asia. Osama bin Laden is dead. Barack Obama should be honest enough with the American people to declare him dead.
Here are the facts.
- The last intelligence intercept of Osama bin Laden was on December 14 of 2001. He has not been heard from since.
- President Bush and Defense Secretary Rumsfeld hinted in late December of 2001 that they knew Osama bin Laden was dead.
- President Musharraf of Pakistan announced in January of 2002 that Osama bin Laden was probably dead of kidney disease.
- President Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan was quoted in October of 2002 as saying, “The more we don’t hear of him, and the more time passes, there is the likelihood that he probably is either dead or seriously wounded somewhere.”
- But the actions of the US Military are the most telling. There isn’t a single soldier, sailor or Marine tasked with chasing down Osama bin Laden, dead or alive. Because we know exactly where he is. He’s dead. So the US military is either totally or absolutely incompetent or Osama bin Laden died years ago and we’ve been fighting the boogieman.
- As early as July of 2002, even the FBI’s counterterrorism chief was quoted as saying; Osama bin Laden is “probably” dead.
The US does not need a boogieman; we have real challenges ahead of us. We need a President who will not lie to us on a constant basis.
While you are at it Mr President Elect, you may want to mention that Iran never threatened to wipe Israel off the map and 16 US Intelligence agencies all agree [pdf] Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program. But you knew that, didn’t you? Iran is neither the enemy of the United States nor Israel.
Nov 12, 2008